• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Car Show Judging

TraveledGTCS

As many of you know I've been to quite a few shows across this great land. I've been classed as in the 67-68 Coupe class in most shows. There are a few shows which have a separate class for the GT/CS - HCSs; the one in Yakima, WA is one I attend quite regularly in addition to the IMM. There are some shows which have classes for Early Factory Specials (68 GT/CS, HCS, Twister, Pace, etc) and Late Factory Specials (Later GT/CS, Bullitt, 50th Anniv, etc). I have also been placed in the class Rob mentioned at the Kitsap show and a couple other shows. All in all when I pull in I just go to where-ever the club hosting the show puts me. I've been asked where I what to be parked, and I just tell them it's their show, so place me where you figure I go. Although I had to argue one time back east when they were trying to put me in Modified???? I just brought out the GT/CS registry and asked them what is modified on my mustang. I've here grumbling from both sides, the 67-68 say I should not be in their class, and the Shelby/Boss class ask why I'm in theirs. Hey, all I go there for now is the trip there and back, to meet friends I haven't seen for a while and to look at the other mustangs and other show cars. (I admit it wasn't always so, but I've mellowed out some.) But now I go just to have fun.

Bill

franklinair

That's the way I feel also. I just go for the enjoyment, and look at other Mustangs. (I once had one placed in the concourse class because the front suspension was detailed!) No big deal to me as to classification. I just gawk at other cars and meet nice people, and don't get caught up in competitive egos.

Neil

hcsstang

In the AACA shows they register all mustangs of the 67 to 68 cars. In Hershey I usually meet up with cal sp . We are good friends. At the majority of the show it all depends who votes on the cars. I have been showing my car for 17 years and ran across three HCA cars. A lot more cal sp. I went to the 50th ann. and I was the only HCS that I saw at the show. At the Carlisle show The Cal sp and HCS are in the 68 class. We were right beside the modern cal sp. and they had around 60 cars in that class. This year I tried to find out what class I will be in but I will find out at the show time. At the Hershey show I'll be in the same class every year. I've been voted for the grand national but I haven't had any luck. The cars are from all over the USA.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Funny how most of "us" just want to go to local cruise nights and drive our cars. We have a fun run for people at my Lake cabin in August every year. 5 stops with breakfast provided at the first one. Each stop has a fun game to play that are designed to be equal to all sexes!! At the end of the day a nice barbeque. I have done my brisket 2 times for the last stop. Lots of 2 lane road driving and about 30 cars of all makes and years. What a hoot and nothing is better than driving the cars. Rain or shine.

Ok, time to ruffle some feathers..... Rob's pet peeve is an owner of any car on a cruise night, or a local show that feels the need to surround their car with every award they have ever received. Including their pee wee trophy's! That somehow this will give them an edge for yet another 5 buck trophy to cart to the next show they go to. Leave them at home and let the car be seen!

I shake my head (in private) at these people. And seldom will I engage them in conversation. I seem to migrate to the odd Rambler/AMC or the Hudson Hornet with Twin "H" Power!!! The old Pontiac or another obscure car that few seem to appreciate. Not that I do not appreciate the Mustangs at a show that has all types and makes of cars entered, but I like odd cars. Cars that many people walk by.

I have couple card board boxes of a few car trophy's in my past. It is in my storage and never to be seen. Heck, time to toss them in the trash.... The Kitsap Mustang car show has so many trophy's in so many classes it is almost comical how many owners trophy. In some classes there are only one or two cars, so you trophy for just "showin up". Gag.....

Yet the draw to go stand on hot asphalt for 8 hours to get a 5 buck trophy is still alluring to many owners of all makes or models of cars. Never been my bag and it seems like many here feel the same.

Rob

stangfan

I hear you on the displaying of trophies Rob. That is one of my pet peeves at a car show. What you won in the past means nothing at a current show. My other peeve is people who don't raise the hood. It's a car show! We want to see the engine bay!

:grin:

Ruppstang

I only attend the type of car show you are describing for the fellowship of friends and could careless about the awards, as they are so badly determined it is laughable.
Although not perfect the MCA nationals are about as good as it gets. The judges have to pass testing and the judging is against a points standard and not head to head competition. So if there are three cars that scored high enough to receive a gold there will be three gold awards given. That type of award competition has helped the participants be more friendly and less adversarial. I'll post a portion of a page from a Concours judge sheet to show how detailed the MCA judging is.
Marty

Attachments

• Judges training judge sheet 001_crop.jpg
    Judges training judge sheet 001_crop.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 29

franklinair

I use the MCA judging guide when I redo my cars (not necessarily to Gold standards). Good info, AND it looks good.

Neil

Attachments

• 011 (2).jpg
    011 (2).jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 013 (2).jpg
    013 (2).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 006 (3).jpg
    006 (3).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 019 (3).jpg
    019 (3).jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 27

68 special

I'm like you Rob, I like the unusual cars. the cars that have been restored by refinishing, resurfacing, repairing/rebuilding parts because you can't find them anywhere except a swap meet or possibly a wrecking yard. I like them because I wish I had their talent, but I don't, so I drool over theirs.

Neil, your cars are in a class all their own. Your restorations are top notch and the attention to detail is impeccable.

Bret

Ruppstang

Ok, time to ruffle some feathers..... Rob's pet peeve is an owner of any car on a cruise night, or a local show that feels the need to surround their car with every award they have ever received. Including their pee wee trophy's! That somehow this will give them an edge for yet another 5 buck trophy to cart to the next show they go to. Leave them at home and let the car be seen!

Rob

The MCA does not allow trophy's or other displays in or around the car. We are only interested in judging the car on it's own merits with out other distractions. I have attended shows where it was allowed and often see the display conveniently covers a defect on the car.
The trophy mongers are a big turn off to me too.
Marty