• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Any opinions on the value of my GT/CS

390cs68rcode

Diesel Donna said:
I recently upped my coverage to 20k. They told me if I want to go higher than that, I have to get a written appraisal.

you need to use Grundy. One of my cars has 65k worth of coverage and they did not ask for anything other than the vin number and what it was.

390cs68rcode

and to figure out how much it will cost just multiply $0.65 per $100 insured, that's your yearly premium.

10k coverage costs you $65.00 a year.

68gt390

rvrtrash said:
There is also the Ford "Detroit Locker" that doesn't allow any slip, which is great for straight line but not so hot in the corners. Steve

Steve;
I can relate to the "Detroit Locker", I've got one in my GT and your right. Great going straight and off the line acceleration but, make a turn and it sounds like your whole rearend is coming out of the car. Plus, make a really quick turn and your whole car want's to hop on you.

Speaking of insurance, my agent called me yesterday and asked me if I had been watching Barrett/Jackson and had seen any of the cars that sold. I asked him why, you think I should increase my insurance and we all know what he said. Anyway, mine is currently insured for $36,000.00 but, I'm thinking maybe it needs to be increased also.

Don

CALIF GIRL

I recently changed my insurance to classic car insurance. I went through my regular State Farm agent. I got 25K of coverage for about the same price I had been paying before.

No apprisal, just had to give some pictures of my car.

OP
OP

1fb1gtcs

Right now it looks like there are about 3 or 4 GT/CS's on ebay right now, all in excellent to pretty good shape. Maybe this is weird, but am I wrong if I said there are fewer "project" cs's than restored ones? I understand a lot of cars have been restored and are not considered "done" by their owners, but to other people their car looks great. I only ask this because when I go online I see all kinds of restored California Specials and even original unrestored cars that look almost perfect. How often do you see real basket case GT/CS's anymore? It seems now it is usually a better deal to buy a restored car instead of trying to fix one yourself, it is so expensive nowadays and also many of the shops you go to aren't particularly interested in doing your car in anywhere near concourse or original form. Have you gone in to check out prices on a rusted floor pan lately? You might be able to find someone willing to do it for less than $500 but it is usually with just plain unshaped sheet metal, if you want an original style floorpan the price goes through the roof, if they are even willing to do it. I don't know though, if these cars actually stay climbing into the 30 to 40K range it may very well be a good investment to restore back to original. Just rambling!

hookedtrout

390cs68rcode said:
you need to use Grundy. One of my cars has 65k worth of coverage and they did not ask for anything other than the vin number and what it was.

Hagarty is the same way, they offer a lot of quirks as well, guaranteed flat bed hauling upon request if you break down so no one drags your car down the road hooked behind a tow truck etc. I think how much info they gather depends upon your age and driving record, if you are a mature adult they won't ask question one other than the vin etc.

Cory

390cs68rcode

hookedtrout said:
Hagarty is the same way, they offer a lot of quirks as well, guaranteed flat bed hauling upon request if you break down so no one drags your car down the road hooked behind a tow truck etc. I think how much info they gather depends upon your age and driving record, if you are a mature adult they won't ask question one other than the vin etc.

Cory

they also limit you to 2500 miles a year. This is the reason why I did not choose them. Grundy does not have these limits.

Mosesatm

hookedtrout said:
if you are a mature adult they won't ask question one other than the vin etc.

Cory

Ouch, that leaves most of us out in the cold!:wink:

Diesel Donna

My vintage ambulance is insured by J.C. Taylor and they don't have a limited mileage per year either. Good thing because I just drove it last June from New York to California! As the Grateful Dead sang...'What a long strange trip it's been!' Maybe I should switch the Mustang over to them. I'm gonna check out Grundy as well.

~~~Donna

Mosesatm

Sorry folks, but I need to jump in here and get back to the car for a minute.

What is the situation with the hood twist lock holes? Did someone install regular hood pins at one time?

OP
OP

1fb1gtcs

Mosesatm said:
Sorry folks, but I need to jump in here and get back to the car for a minute.

What is the situation with the hood twist lock holes? Did someone install regular hood pins at one time?

I'm sorry, was your question about my car or someone else's?

Mosesatm

1fb1gtcs said:
I'm sorry, was your question about my car or someone else's?

Yours. It looks like some other type of hood pin was used. Are the correct brackets on the radiator support?

OP
OP

1fb1gtcs

Well it appears to be the original brackets to me, when I got the car the twist locks were already long gone but all the hardware underneath them is still there. I will get some more pictures of that area today and post them up this evening some time. They should be original though, they seem to match the little brackets attatched to the radiator support.

OP
OP

1fb1gtcs

I looked at some of the galleries here, nobody seems to have a picture of those brackets, we all focus on the engine! Do you know of one that shows those?

OP
OP

1fb1gtcs

I'll have to stop by the garage tonight and get a few shots, but in my memory I remember something taller that was threaded inside, like a metal dowel type of thing that had threads on the inside. I'll have pictures up by morning but I can tell from the pic that you posted they are different, but hopefully still has all the correct stuff there maybe someone added something on top??? I'll find out ASAP!

BroadwayBlue

390cs68rcode said:
they also limit you to 2500 miles a year. This is the reason why I did not choose them. Grundy does not have these limits.

Haggarty didn't limit me on mileage. They sent the same basic rules as NY state on historic plates.

- The car is maintainted for car club activities, parades, shows, other functions of public interest or for a private collection
- It is used infrequently for other purposes "The occasional pleasure drive"
- You're not supposed to use the car to drive to work, run errands, etc.

I specifically asked about the mileage limits and they said there wouldn't be any.

They do require that you own another car for "regular" use.

They also included roadside assistance and if something happens to your or your family at a car show (gets injured) that's covered as well.

I will be increasing my Agreed Value this time around.
Rich

Sorry - didn't mean to get off topic again ... was just catching up.

Diesel Donna

Rich...what are the requirements for NY state historical plates? I have them on my old ambulance......my brother got them for me before I got to NY to drive the car west, so I didn't even know there were stipulations! Are they the same as you stated above?
Thanks~~~~Donna