• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

200 6 cylinders

Mustanglvr

Does anyone have a GT/CS with the original 200 6 cylinder in it yet? Mine originally had a 200 but it was switched it over to a 289 before I got it. I think it was a shame that Ford made it an option to put such a small engine in such an attractive sporty car like the GT/CS. Although I wish mine was all original, I still like the 289 better. Mustanglvr

Gandystang

I have 2 ! one with Automatic and one with 3 Speed. The automatic is in the Gallery and very original car and I'm the second owner. The 3 speed is being restored.(winston old car )

These cars are just as rare as X code cars and I think these cars are over looked and are limited number production cars, around 70 to 80 cars of each type
( Auto vs. Manual ) with everyone pulling 6 cylinders out for V8's the numbers alot less........making them more rare.

Anyway ........... who-ray for the 6 cylinder cars and they get 25 mpg

Ron

rvrtrash

If I remember correctly, Chi Chi Rodriguez campaigned a car back in the 70's that used a 300 c.i. six, that used 1 1/2 Cleveland heads welded together and did quite well with it, but he didn't get 25 mpg. If you want to do something different, try that and really get the people that look down on 6's talking.
Steve

admin

Staff member
Administrator
My first Mustang was a '68 with a 200 6 cyl. (Not a GT/CS) I was 16 and I still thought it was fine. It was actually pretty peppy with good low end torque. Nice gas mileage and plenty of space to work under the hood too.

My $.02 :)

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

I`ve owned a 66 coupe and a 67 convertible each with a 6 cylinder engine and they both were lacking power considerably. I won`t own another unless I can find the original one that came with my GT/CS and then I would never install it. I guess I love the feel of power under my foot. But I can respect other peoples opinions. I loved my Mustangs whether they had a 6 or not. I guess I was a little embarassed to have an all-american muscle car with a 6 cylinder engine. Nothing to lift the hood for anybody I felt. The sporty stripes , the scoops and the sleak design of the GT/CS make people think it has alot of power and I think they would be disappointed to see a 6 cylinder engine in such a beauty. It is my opinion and I don`t want to insult anybody. Mustangs are my passion. I believe everybody should have at least one passion in their life. When I was 6 years old my mother bought a brand new 1970 Mach 1 Mustang with 351 Cleveland 4 barrell. So I have loved Mustangs for as long as I can remember. I do respect the fact that the 6 cylinders were produced by Ford and provided good fuel economy but it just didn`t make sense to have all that beautiful muscle car design with an engine that lacked in power. I don`t know maybe my idea of power may be different than other people. Not to mention my sweet little 289 looks alot better in the engine compartment than a straight 6. ;D Rhonda