• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

ZDDP is it in your oil ?

L8GR868

Just about finished changing engines (1970 351 Winsor)and I have been looking for a good motor oil. I was told to use Valvoline VR1 Racing oil for two oil changes due to the ZDDP in it. New oils no longer contain this additive. Any suggestions. On the best oil to use.
Eric

di81977

Quick search on ZDDP found this:

http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm

Sounds like you might have been given good advice! My engine tuner recommends Rotella T (Shell). Searching again on the internet, found out it is a diesel oil and contains ZDDP. Now I know why he changed my oil when he worked on the car recently.

Good luck with the engine swap.

david

franklinair

SUPER Info. Good advice for all auto hobbyists concerned with caring for & prolonging the life of the engines.

Neil

obwan93001

Hmmmmm... very interesting

Thanks very much for sharing that info L8GR868 and di81977, very interesting indeed. I will definately keep that in mind and just printed it out for my dad, an old mechanic. I'm sure he'll be intrigued for sure. I'm hoping to rebuild the engine in our GT/CS sometime next year and will definately make use of the article's recommendations.

J.Bart

does anyone use "energy release" or "er" as some call it? i use it in my older fe engines.

Midnight Special

Quick search on ZDDP found this:

http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm

Sounds like you might have been given good advice! My engine tuner recommends Rotella T (Shell). Searching again on the internet, found out it is a diesel oil and contains ZDDP. Now I know why he changed my oil when he worked on the car recently.

Good luck with the engine swap.

david

David, thanks for the read! This came up in aviation circles about a year ago. A mechanic friend of mine then filled a small warehouse w/ cases of the older oils. In knowing that's only "temporary", perhaps we should keep this thread alive and document any ruined motors within the group. I've heard quite a few second-hand stories of flattened cam lobes & have been concerned for some time...

robert campbell

Very interesting reading. I have always broke my engines in using straight 30 weight Castrol. I have always used Castrol Products. And run 20/50 Syntech or GTX in my motors. Was looking at Redline or Royal Purple for my extreme performance 289 in my Fastback.

I am going to recam my 428 Cobra Jet before it goes in my GT/CS. Looks like you need to be a bunch more careful today during cam break-in. I always run them for at least 20 minutes above 2 grand, but I will follow their thoughts on oil!! I am usually well informed about stuff like this.

Not this time!! Thanks for the heads up and the in-depth info on the subject. What a great site!!!

Rob

joedls

Very interesting reading. I have always broke my engines in using straight 30 weight Castrol. I have always used Castrol Products. And run 20/50 Syntech or GTX in my motors. Was looking at Redline or Royal Purple for my extreme performance 289 in my Fastback.

I am going to recam my 428 Cobra Jet before it goes in my GT/CS. Looks like you need to be a bunch more careful today during cam break-in. I always run them for at least 20 minutes above 2 grand, but I will follow their thoughts on oil!! I am usually well informed about stuff like this.

Not this time!! Thanks for the heads up and the in-depth info on the subject. What a great site!!!

Rob

Just run a roller cam and don't worry about it. :grin:

OP
OP
L8GR868

L8GR868

My rebuilder told me not to use diesel engine oil now because the Rottella and other diesel oils have removed ZDDP because the new diesel engines are now using cat. converters(new pickup trucks to big motors). This reason for removing ZDDP is because over time it coats converters and they don't work. There is a ZDDP additive that can be bought and added to your oil. Racing oil must be changed more often than all season oil. General Motors use to sell EOS engine oil supplimate but they quit selling it in 2007. My rebuilder told me to use Valvoline VR1 20/50 for the first 300 miles then change it using VR1 again for 3000 miles then recommended a synthetic.
He said the cam would absorb the ZDDP and then should be fine.
Eric

jk89cat

this is interesting. and leaves me confused as well. leaves me to wonder as far as what to use in my 347 that is all late model parts . makes me wonder if the oils i have been using in my 96 f150 have been damaging it as well shes got 180k on her and getting some engine rattles

di81977

My rebuilder told me not to use diesel engine oil now because the Rottella and other diesel oils have removed ZDDP because the new diesel engines are now using cat. converters(new pickup trucks to big motors). Eric

This has me pretty interested as I have about 600 miles on my rebuild and have been using Rotella T. I emailed Shell and asked about ZDDP and their Rotella Diesel oil. Here is their reply:

David, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 CJ-4 has approximately 1200 ppm zinc anti-wear. This is 50% more zinc than current passenger car motor oils (API SM/ILSAC GF-4) which contain approximately 800 ppm zinc. Passenger car motor oils had approximately 1200 ppm zinc prior to 2001. In 2001 the zinc was reduced to 1000 ppm and in 2005 reduced again to the current 800 ppm. This was done to lengthen the life of the catalytic converters for gasoline vehicles.

Thus, the new Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 CJ-4 has the same zinc content that passenger car motor oils had in 2000 before the current problems with flat tappet engines began.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...wgen/press_release_2006/cj-4_triple_1006.html

Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
Westhollow Technology Center, PO Box 4327, Houston, TX 77210, United States of America
800-231-6950

68gt390

Don't know if the problem with my new (7000 mile) motor was related to oil failure but, one engine builder I talked to mentioned not using the new conventional oils in our older engines. He mentioned the Shell Rotella T. Wish I would have known about this earlier. I'm now in the process of putting all new rings in the motor. Left a show this past Friday and noticed a large amount of smoke pouring off the left bank on my way home and lost oil pressure. Performed both a dry and wet compression test and found two pistons on the left bank with compression readings of "125" and "135" on the dry test - not good. Wet test readings were "180" and "175", again not good. Now I'm just hoping the cylinder walls aren't damaged to bad.

Don :cry: :cry:

Last edited:

Midnight Special

...I'm very sorry to hear of that, Don :-( I have switched everything to Mobil 1 20/50 Synthetic (as acquired) over the last 3 years, but I haven't put enough miles on any one vehicle to notice any detriment. I too have one (302) that has always smoked from the left bank, but only when leaving stop signs. I attribute that to valve seals or guides as it did pass comp & leak down checks. What are your opinions re; synthetics???

somethingspecial

Having two new rebuilds in my mustangs, I spoke with several mechanics, some racing engine builders and they all recommended DELO 400LE heavy duty motor oil, SAE 15W-40, API CJ-4. It's made by Chevron and formulated for Diesel engines. They ALL said this oil helps cam break-in. It's what I use in all my vehicles. I get it at the local NAPA store. Mike