• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wood Shift Handle

Mosesatm

Does anyone out there know if a woodgrain shift handle like the one shown in the photo was an option in '68, a Ford dealer item, or do you think it's aftermarket?

Last edited:

Perkchiro

Since the subject of shifter handles has been brought up, I have a question and perhaps it's already been discussed on prior posts. Do all '68 deluxe interiors have a padded, leatherette shift handle covers? I've seen them both ways and I'm wondering if some just didn't replace the handles when the covers wore off. As far as I can tell they are suppose to be there. Any facts to share on this subject? Thanks.

Steve

GTCSMustang

I have a 1968 dealer accessory catalog and don't see any wood shift handles in it. I can't tell if the handle in question has a snake on it. Probably not, or you would have figured out it was Shelby. I know Cougars had lots of upgrades, might be from a Cougar. Looks good on the car though.

Scott

CougarCJ

I am not so sure that that handle is made of wood. Looks alot like the burlwood grain plastic handles that were on Granada and Monarchs.
1968 Cougar with XR7-G package and 1970 Cougar Eliminators had a wooden shifter handle with a small gold cat, much like the Shelby snake. Most likely the same supplier.

Attachments

• G shift handle.JPG
    G shift handle.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 29
P

PNewitt

Starting in 1969, the Shelby accessories catalog (and ads in car magazines) offered the wooden auto shift handle with the snake on it. Yes, they are real wood.

They later made them with a little metal running horse. A very cool item (and yet, not as cold as a chrome one on a cold day).

The only problem is that they tend to "twist" when the set screw wears out.

I don't know who made (makes) them, but I'm pretty sure that Tony Branda Performance (Altoona, PA.) has them. I'd put one on a GT/CS in a second!

At one time, Ford considered a steering wheel cover on the CS, like the one on the '68 XR7-G.

Paul N.

zapper

I bought one of the ones with the horse inlay from branda about 15 years ago, because the plastic "leather" was cracked. I ended up taking the rest of the plastic off and making a real leather cover for it that looks and feels better than the original. As for the the wooden handle, I sold it on ebay a couple years ago to a guy in england.