• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Which car? 2006 GT/CS or GT350H?

still looking for one

Newest MPH (June) magazine has an interesting article on the GT350H

They do have the billet grille, the 1966 color scheme/stripes and the GT350H side stripe.

Ford will get them all back when they have about 18,000 (presumably hard:grin:--beaten like the family mule - miles on them and resell them through wholesale auctions, and not through Ford dealers (though nothing to stop Ford dealers from bidding at the auctions either.)

Could be real collector's items. Or not.

I just glanced at the current GT/CS option and it didn't draw my eye the way the GT350H does. I've no doubt, the new 'Stang can out accellerate, outcorner, and outhandle and outbrake the equivalent '68, and is more luxurious, but.......the '68 is the ORIGINAL deal, and the purest.

For around $30k plus I would rather have a trailer queen original '68 Special than a new GT. Just my inclination.

PFSlim

If it was me. I would by the GT350H. I think they look way cool and would like to have some of that history!!

Paul

P

PNewitt

The only differences between the GT/CS and the Hertz Shelby are:

Engine Mods
Billet Grille
Wheels
Black exterior and Gold Stripes
Shelby Letters on the rear
(and some interior options).

So,you could have a black GT/CS, and not be too far from having the Hertz car. If it weren't for the GT/CS program for '07-'08, there would be no GT-350H car, since it uses the same body panels and parts.

Paul N.

Mustanger

PNewitt said:
The only differences between the GT/CS and the Hertz Shelby are:

Engine Mods
Billet Grille
Wheels
Black exterior and Gold Stripes
Shelby Letters on the rear
(and some interior options).

So,you could have a black GT/CS, and not be too far from having the Hertz car. If it weren't for the GT/CS program for '07-'08, there would be no GT-350H car, since it uses the same body panels and parts.

Paul N.

Cool!!... a "Mustang-modern-history" GT/CS tie to Shelby, but in reverse!!!

BroadwayBlue

It's a little more than just engine mods ... there's the handling package and exhaust tuning as well...

Pumping up the power, Ford's racing group supplies engine modifications to the Mustang GT's standard 4.6-liter V8, including a 90mm cold air kit and a muffler kit to bump power 25 horsepower to 325 hp. Torque also gets a 10 pound-feet boost to 330. The only transmission available is a five-speed automatic, but there's a shorter 3.55:1 ratio rear axle to help liven things up.

The racing division's handling package includes special dampers, lowering springs, sway bars and a strut tower brace.

GT350H gets my vote for the above and looks.

P

PNewitt

I guess my point was to talk about it's looks.

I know that with the Shelby name, it HAS to have something awesome under the hood--and in the suspension.

From a practical matter--I just think that a '07 CS with some mods would be about the same (overall) as the Hertz car...

I can see Hertz cars going at auction for $50K and more, once they are available. It's going to be nuts!

I've had an offer to review the new CS for a late model Mustang mag...maybe you all could give me some input for that--as well as some performance ideas for an 'Ultimate '07 GT/CS". <??>

Paul N.

BroadwayBlue

PNewitt said:

I know that with the Shelby name, it HAS to have something awesome under the hood--and in the suspension.

From a practical matter--I just think that a '07 CS with some mods would be about the same (overall) as the Hertz car...

I can see Hertz cars going at auction for $50K and more, once they are available. It's going to be nuts!

I've had an offer to review the new CS for a late model Mustang mag...maybe you all could give me some input for that--as well as some performance ideas for an 'Ultimate '07 GT/CS". <??>

Paul N.

Valid points Paul - all true.

My dealer has been told that dealers will get first shot at the Hertz cars when they complete their rental service. They're all automatics so I'm sure they'll be driven very carefully by little old ladies from Pasadena ...:icon_ecst

I'm sure clones will start cropping up real soon.

Mustanger

PNewitt said:

Paul N.

Paul, Rich,

The Hertz car is an improvement over the GT with some '07 GT/CS parts, and a few other little things (billet grille, special hood, 3.55:1 gears, etc.).

But if you add the special Ford Racing package:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/performancepackages/performancepackages.asp

... and the CS already is mod'ed in the suspension somewhat, and if you opt for the manual trans (3.55:1 gears), an '07 GT/CS could possibly keep up and even beat the Hertz car ... probably due to the manual trans.

If the '07 GT/CS could be improved, I'ld say add the GT500 ducktail spoiler, add the Hertz hood, and add the Ford Racing performance package ... that would be my vote for a cool '07 GT/CS, without going over the top ...

70boss

I rented a 06 GT-H this week in Seattle. It was a blast to drive, and the people gawking was fun to. Usually I only get this type of attention driving a vintage car...certainly not a late model. The Shelby Hertz cars are neat, and they are pretty anal about renting them out, if you decide to rent one, don't settle for the first price they quote, they will discount the rate heavily. Still WAY more than the original $17 per day, .17 cents per mile. Was it worth paying 3 times the cost of a Ford escape rental? For this trip YES.

The unit i drove had 50 miles on the odometer, I put another 250 miles on it and used up the full tank. Note that they have the aluminum stamped shelby ID plate just like the old originals. I have had two 66 hertz cars, and this would be the perfect addition to anyones collection.

70boss

I can tell you exactly......

I went to Seattle to buy a 68 GT-500KR convertible. I rented a Ford Escape, the key guy gave me a key and I went to find the car....as I was walking I noticed the Shelby GT-H cars...3 of them! At the same time I noticed I had in fact a Pontiac key in my hand. Needless to say the key did not open the Escape. I went to the dispatch center and I asked if the Shelbys were on display, or for rent.....he said they were available for rent!

$500 per day!!! OUCH! then I was thinking, what the heck, what better way to pull up to buy a 68 Shelby, than in a new one!

Then the guy says...Well I can get you 30-40% off....so at that point it was a done deal....but the put you through the ringer to rent one.

The rate was $300, plus the tax crap you get stuck with, plus I prepaid the tank of gas...it came to the ridiculous total of about $400 for one day.

Well, I bought the 68 KR, and had a blast driving the new Hertz car. Talk about attention in the new Shelby..whoa.

I ended up just driving around Seattle/Tacoma until the tank was nearly dry....300 miles later, the car was done and I was back on an airplane.

390cs68rcode

FYI on the rental Shelby's..........

Just booked a car (convertible Mustang) in Hawaii for a upcoming trip (week long cruise in early July) and was quoted $188 a day for the Shelby. No Shelby's available but if they happen to have one when we show up I will rent one.

marie68csmustangs

Man I knew that it would be pretty expensive to rent one for $400 for one day... You would have to drive it until the tank ran dry if you rented it for that much money..

Marie