• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Where were you in 1968 ????

Midnight Special

... Okay, so "Mustanger" gave me this idea from his recent post...

What were YOU doing in 1968?

I was 8 yrs. old, walking to Catholic school across a former gold mining town on the western foothills of the Sierras. Everyone knew everyone which meant you didn't do anything stupid on the way home 'cuz Mom would be waiting for you w/ a rolling pin if you did ;-) The Viet Nam war was in full swing and long lines of B-52s were constantly flying over town from Beale AFB training pilots.
I remember seeing new Shelby Mustangs and and my older brothers & sister talking about 'em. A couple next door had bought a brand new 1967 coupe which she used as a daily driver up until a just few years ago. At that time we had a 1963 Olds Station wagon "Dynamic 88" followed by a '67 T-bird among others. Life was simple and fun for me... How about you?

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

I was 4 yrs old and living on an 80 acre farm outside of Hartford, South Dakota.(Just outside of Sioux Falls)With my Mom, Dad and 8 yr old sister. My Dad worked at the John Morrell meat packing plant and my Mom worked at a cafe. My Mom had`nt gotten her 70 Mach I yet, but at that time she was working on my Dad to get it for her. It took her many years of threatening divorce and everything else to get that car. My oldest sister (24 yrs old at the time had driven her 65 2+2 Mustang back up from Reno, Nevada where she was working as a telephone operator. She had alot of stories of talking to famous movie stars and other people. I remember she looked like a Beatnik back then. Lol, then again, so did I with my floppy hat and knitted poncho, flare pants, headband and white go go boots. I was a cute little kid. :) My 8 yr old sister was planning on hitchhiking to New York to attend the Woodstock festival. I remember I cut my foot on a pop bottle and had to be pushed around in a baby stroller for a few weeks. Gee, that was embarassing for a 4 year old!

sam

I was 18, cruisin in my parents 68 Ford LTD, and listening to Beach Boys.
Little did I know that 2 years later I would own a 1968 Ford Mustang coupe
, higland green, 289CI with 3 speed. Thus my love for the Ford Mustang 1968 year. When I traded that car in 1973 for a Ford Maverick Grabber with 302ci 3 speed, I always regretted the day I traded in the Mustang. But vowed someday I would own another one. Eight years ago this July was when I found , purchased and restored my 68 California Special Mustang. Everytime I drive her, it propells me back in time. Happy 4th to everyone. Have fun and be safe.

John McGilvary

I had just graduated from HS, had a full time job and was looking for the fastest and best looking car I could find. I found it, and it was my CS. Then uncle Sam said he needed me so I put my CS in the barn and went to Viet Nam for four years. When I got home I still had the CS and it is still the best car I have ever owned. Be Proud on the 4th. John

BroadwayBlue

I was in Kindergarten in a place known as Pelham, NY.

My parent's had just sold their 1958 Pontiac Station Wagon and got a 1968 Ford LTD Country Squire Station Wagon with woodgrain on the sides. It was Lime Gold with Ivy Gold interior. My CS was orginally the same color combination which I think is cool.

They didn't buy another car until a 1978 Olds Delta 88. Only 3 cars in 20 years what we're they thinking ? :grin:

Happy 4th to all!

Diesel Donna

I was 13 years old in Jamestown, New York. Well, actually a teensy place called Maple Springs. I broke my jaw that summer when I fell off my brothers' stingray bike on a steep hill.I wore cut off jeans and fringe tops I made myself and sneaked a pack of cigarettes from a machine you put coins in and pulled a handle, LOL...remember those? I have never smoked since then. My oldest brother was in Viet Nam and I always wore one of his green fatigue shirts.My favorite song was Inna-gadda-da-vida by Iron Butterfly! (It was suppose to mean "In the Garden of Eden" but they were on drugs)
I wanted to drive soooo bad that when my mom car pooled to work with her cousin, I would take her station wagon( a silver 1963 Pontiac Safari) out for a spin, even in the winter and never got caught. Boy, I had a couple close calls though. Rich...we also had a 1968 Country Squire wagon, white with woodgrain sides. And Dad's 1950 GMC truck. Oh I did a ton of babysitting for neighbors then too.
I won a real Shetland pony at a baseball game, an annual event. But I was getting so tall that my feet almost touched the ground when I sat on Smokey. I roller skated almost every day or night and went swimming in the lake. AHHHHHH 1968!! Great post Tim!

rvrtrash

1968 I was 10 and probably converting my 1950's looking Schwinn into a stingray and building ramps to jump over apple crates like a minature Evil Kneivel, getting my butt whipped for swimming in the canels when I was told not to, and playing "King of the Hill" with real sticks (plastic light sabers hadn't been invented yet). Those were the days I could run down a gravel road with no shoes 'cause kids just didn't wear shoes in the summer.

Steve

still looking for one

It was a fun year to own a car!

1968: I remember it well: It was quite a year to be a University Student at UC Santa Barbara:
The assassinations of Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, the Chicago democratic conventions, Anti-Vietnam war protests and the ROTC building later got torched !!! You couldn't be unaffected by it, yet it was a wonderful time to see the new muscle cars (GTO, 442 Olds, Roadrunners) and Pony cars (Barracuda, Mustang, Cougar, Camaro, Firebird) that were brand new in Southern California) The rich kids got brand new ones from their parents!!
Oh it sparked envy to see those rides; I remember seeing a couple of sorority girls coming down the steps- in pastel sleeveless dresses, heels, matching purses, looking as though they stepped right out of the pages of VOGUE magazine (not EVERYONE were hippies in '68) to a brand new 1968 pale yellow Camaro coupe with a black vinyl top that was parked at the curb at the front entrance of the Delta Gamma house. One of the girls said "Oh wow, cool car" and the other one wqrinkled her nose up and said, "Feh, no big deal, my father gave it to me for my birthday". Like, who cares, no big deal. My jaw must have dropped a mile; you had to see and hear that conversation to believe it....

I had a friend with a '61 Pontiac and a '58 Vette who used to race around and do donuts in the off campus parking lot!! A real bad boy who always was running from the traffic enforcement LEO's.

I joined a service fraternity, and we had a very memorable trip to Tijuana!!
(I came *that* close to being arrested by a Mexican cop on the Avenida Revolucion - won't tell you why, if I did I would have to kill ya:cheesy: )

I had joined a Road Rally Club (PORRT- Press On Regardless Rallye Team) and we had organized a Road Rally from Santa Barbara to Ensenada, and I took first place in my '64 Chevelle, beating the MGAs, AMXs, and all the other sports cars!! That was a dash plaque to cherish!!

We organized an autocross at the Santa Barbara City college, which I didn't participate in, except as a rally official. It was an all out event, but one fellow lost control and ran his new '68 Camaro head on into a Palm tree at high speed.

Some guy came by in a big '65 Impala SS coupe, and wanted to enter the autocross in his car. He was drunk, too. We turned him away, though. :rolleyes:

Jim

Kahuna

I was 10 riding around in my dad's new GTCS in Fresno CA. A year later we all packed up and moved here to Hawaii and that CS has been sitting in my drive way ever since.

I Was 8 Yrs Old Like Midnight Special, I Was Riding W/ Dad In His New 68 Gran Torino Sport. I Will Never Forget The Car Cause He Bought It For Mom??? It Was The Year We Started Going To Green Valley (the First 1/4 Track)to Watch Don Gartlits In His Multi Engine Dragsters, And The First Memories Of Intrest In Cars.it Was A Time Of Growing And Learning. Im Not One To Live In The Past, But To What I See These Days, It Was An Easier Time..remember Going To My First Car Show..

70boss

Ummm....lets see. I doubt I was even a twinkle in my dads eye....this was several years prior to birth.

Perkchiro

Age 11 in Mountain View, California. I had a Murray bike with a banana seat that I rode everywhere. My older brother had a 36 chevy and he'd take me to school in it sometimes. My best friend lived down the street and he had a swimming pool. We hung out all summer at his place. Didn't realize it at the time, but being a kid was a lot of fun!

Steve

Mustanglvr

This was a fun thread so I thought I`d bring it up again for our new members to add their memories.

p51

1968 was, for better or worse, a pivotal year in US history. The following link shows what was going on during that year. Amazing the events that occurred during that single year - including the intro of the GT/CS :wink:

Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968

IMO the most interesting quote of the year was 'a telegram from a stranger, received by [Apollo 8 Frank] Borman after the mission, that simply stated, "Thank you Apollo 8. You saved 1968." '