• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What to do??

csgt428

Hi, I am thinking of selling my "S" code 4-sp GTCS in order to start up a business. I put an aluminum headed 428cj, big in out toploader and 31 spl axels into it when I restored it three years ago. It has 77K original miles on it and I'm pretty sure thats correct since I've owned it since 1976. MY question is... would it be worth more to a collector w the correct 390 GT drivetrain in it? It is pretty much restored correctly other than that. It came w the 8,000 rpm tach, PS, PDB and GT options. I'm thinking of taking it to the Barret Jackson auction. Any Ideas comments welcome....Thanx, Grant Hatch

hookedtrout

First let me say it appears you have a nice selection of cars. As for the collectability of the S code, I'd say if you have the original equipment and you offer that as a part of the sale they would have everything they need to do with it as they please.

Do you have pictures?

Cory

OP
OP
C

csgt428

Yes I have a few pics, not sure how to put them here....... OK I figured it out.

Attachments

• 100_0391.jpg
    100_0391.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 64

case12

IMHO, I believe you will get just as much, if not more, with the 428CJ in it - especially if you have done it up as nice as stated (ie, not just dropped an engine into another 60's hot rod). The fact it is an S code is already a plus. Upgrading to a 428CJ is another plus. It can always be downgraded to a 390 later. Numbers matching are not as critical for these cars (unless they are true 428CJ R codes). But, You may want to offer the original engine/drivetrain with the sale as icing with the cake. My two cents.... Casey

OP
OP
C

csgt428

Well if it were me buying it instead of selling it I'd rather have the 428cj in it for sure but what do I know....especially as I've never thought about selling it till now and hav'nt kept up on the current market. Any ideas as to its value? Can't be many Big blocks out there....

Attachments

• 100_0105.jpg
    100_0105.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_0106.jpg
    100_0106.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_0107.jpg
    100_0107.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0108.jpg
    100_0108.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_0109.jpg
    100_0109.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_0110.jpg
    100_0110.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 57

CougarCJ

I don't think that having a 428CJ engine in place of the S code 390-4V hurts the value either. If you have restored it with the correct 390GT air cleaner and smog, and have taken care of all of the small under hood details, most enthusiasts would not know a set of CJ exhaust manifolds from the 390GT manifolds.

If you choose to take it to Barret-Jackson (Scottsdale in January?), register as soon as possible. You will want to take advantage of having it listed on the B-J site for as long as possible. You will need to submit great pictures.

An Elite Marti report will be a great investment at this point too. Those take up to a couple of months to deliver.

Sounds like a very nicely optioned GT/CS.

CougarCJ

Didn't see the pictures before posting.

While those wheels might appeal to some people, you might want to put the stock looking GT wheels and caps on it instead if going to auction.

To get top dollar and have the most interested parties as potential bidders, it needs to look quite a bit more stock and original than how you have it restored. No offense.
Most bidders looking for an investment grade car (which this is) will factor in cost to return to stock, off of the bid price.

di81977

Just my opinion, but if you are going to take it to BJ, I think you will do better with as much originality as possible.

Nice looking car, good luck.

david

case12

After looking at the pictures, you may do better selling this car on the market (like eBay) rather than BJ. It is missing stripes, original or period correct wheels, and has additional "cobra" emblems on the fenders. These are cool for a hot rodded GT/CS, but not typical for an investment grade car that is typical at BJ. It is still an awesome car.....I just wonder if it has more potential and a better audience on the open market. my two cents....Casey

JohnnyQuest515

If you take it to BJ make sure it is listed for Saturday only. Then again it better be top knotch to make it there period. As mentioned above, keep in mind correct stripes, wheels and correct emblems to appear period correct. Keep the 428 and include the 390GT motor crated for the next buyer. My .02 worth...

Randy

gofastguy

To get top dollar and have the most interested parties as potential bidders, it needs to look quite a bit more stock and original than how you have it restored. No offense.
Most bidders looking for an investment grade car (which this is) will factor in cost to return to stock, off of the bid price.

I totally agree with the originality thoughts. Your car is nice, but restored to your personal preference, and the chances of your likes matching someone else's is slim. If you could take care of the missing pieces, you perhaps could sell it at B-J as a weekday car, but it's definitely risky. If it was mine, I wouldn't chance it...I'd put it here and then maybe ebay. Good Luck!

rvrtrash

Hey Hatch, how's it going? You know, you could always make me a deal I couldn't pass up on that R code '72. Then you wouldn't have to sell the CS. Just trying to help. :grin:

Steve

J.Bart

do you have the matching numbers engine, or just a correct 390 engine?

RedGTvert

If you take it to BJ make sure it is listed for Saturday only. Then again it better be top knotch to make it there period. As mentioned above, keep in mind correct stripes, wheels and correct emblems to appear period correct. Keep the 428 and include the 390GT motor crated for the next buyer. My .02 worth...

Randy

You have no say when and what time it will cross the block. Everyone wants prime time. The reality is, only cars that will draw big bucks will get prime time.

I have sold several cars at BJ and am a bit familiar with how they work. Getting your consignment application in super early does not guarantee you of early placement. The cars that get placed early are cars they want to advertise their various pre-auction mailings, and here again, they are prime cars.

BJ takes all sorts of cars, not always the creme of the crop. They have many hours to fill, and #3 cars sell and make money for them.

Getting back to your car, it has been said previously, if you are willing to spend money on the car to get it back to a nice stock looking car, you would benefit. As an S-code car, I bet it would do better than with the wrong motor in there.

The question then becomes, is it going to get you enough to cover the additional costs to get it back to stock.

There are also costs involved with BJ. You have an entry fee of about $500. Then you have transportation costs. There is a cost to park in under one of the tents. Let's not forget the cost to get there and stay for a few days, and the 8% sellers fee. It is not exactly a cheap way to sell your car, and being a no reserve auction, it sells at any price, whether you like it or not.

BJ is not the instant success people think. Don't be fooled by what you see on Speed Channel. There are hundreds of cars that sell for quite a bit less that you never see.

OP
OP
C

csgt428

Thanx for all the input. I do have the GT wheels in very nice condition (powder coated) but with GT caps instead of the CS caps. I figured why not, it's a GT. Same with the GT emblems on the fenders. As far as the Cobras on the fenders.... Well, it sounds to me like BJ might be more trouble and risk than it's worth....I don't have the original 390 engine and drivetrain, just a period correct one. I have a 67 GT aircleaner on it also, not the 68.....
Hey RVR trash, Make me an offer I can't refuse on the "R" code. No seriously, Give me a call sometime, lets jabber.

Thanx, again, Grant