• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What does "GT" stand for?

robert campbell

Giant Taterbug..... Yes, yes.... Gran Tourismo....

Then there is "2 plus 2".... 2 in the front and 2 in the back.... People. GT-350??? 50 feet from the shop to the office at Carroll Shelby's assembly plant where they built the first 65 GT-350 Shelby.... go figure.... GT-500??? Well, bigger than a GT-350.... KR??? King of the Road....

Rob

rvrtrash

Giant Taterbug..... Yes, yes.... Gran Tourismo....

Then there is "2 plus 2".... 2 in the front and 2 in the back.... People. GT-350??? 50 feet from the shop to the office at Carroll Shelby's assembly plant where they built the first 65 GT-350 Shelby.... go figure.... GT-500??? Well, bigger than a GT-350.... KR??? King of the Road....

Rob

GT-40. The roof was 40" off the ground.

Steve

P

PNewitt

(another spelling): Gran Turismo, or Grand Touring, I think started with the Ferraris in Italy.

Grand Touring cars were popular in the early 1920's, too. "GT" was universally used in the early 1960's, and the Mustang almost got the "GTO" designation, but Pontiac grabbed it. It makes you wonder if different car company's engineers and designers had lunch together a lot those days...

The use of "GT" in GT/CS was a carryover from the Shelby name. "GT-350" came about when Carroll asked some guys at the Venice plant how far it was from one shop to another, and some guy said--"oh, about 350 feet". Thus, "GT-350", and thet rounded it off at 500 (GT-500) from the 428 engine size.

I think that the "GT-40" name might have been a poke at Ferrari back then, since they didn't sell to Ford in 1962. Enzo backed out at the last minute. The Mustang nose design was from a Maserati, and the Horse in the grille was another poke at Ferrari's "prancing horse".

However...we DID get the Marchal lights from the 350-GT Ferrari.

Hmmm....think about this: Would the "KR" in GT-500KR now mean "Knight Rider"?

Paul N.

miller511

On my daily driver '07 CS...GT seems to mean "GettaTicket?". (so far, NO!!)

I'd never heard Gas and Tires...good one Steve!