• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

VINS not matching

charlieb

Hello All
I have come across a Mustang I am interested in but the Vin on the dash does not match the fender Vin. Is this common or should I pass.Thanks!

Perkchiro

Charlieb: What this means is someone messed with the dash plate or replaced the inner fender aprons from another car. The more likely senario is the the dash plate has been switched. Have you checked the title for the VIN? If you want a pure bred stang, I'd probably pass on this one. If you just want a daily driver or custom restoration project, then I might give it a whirl. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
C

charlieb

Sorry I did not specify......
The dash vin looks good ,matches the door plate and the title. However the fender VINs do not match.Can inner fenders be changed out without ruining the integrity of the car??? Car comes with Mart Report.Thanks!!!!!!!

franklinair

Be careful:
1.)The dash mounted VIN tag is only secured with a couple of "pop rivets",
allowing the VIN Tag & Title to be "transplanted" onto another car.
2.) The door tag is a replaceable tag, and can be modified.
3.) Can you/did you look at the serial number on the engine?

I have never seen or heard of an inner fender panel being re-installed into another car. It's easier & simpler to install a NEW panel (which has no S/N).
It's easier to swap the VIN tag & title (which would agree with the Marti Report data). It is illegal to do so.
Be careful.

Neil Hoppe

DeadStang

Be careful:
1.)The dash mounted VIN tag is only secured with a couple of "pop rivets",
allowing the VIN Tag & Title to be "transplanted" onto another car.
2.) The door tag is a replaceable tag, and can be modified.
3.) Can you/did you look at the serial number on the engine?

I have never seen or heard of an inner fender panel being re-installed into another car. It's easier & simpler to install a NEW panel (which has no S/N).
It's easier to swap the VIN tag & title (which would agree with the Marti Report data). It is illegal to do so.
Be careful.

Neil Hoppe

Can inner fenders be changed out without ruining the integrity of the car???

Yes. Back in the day, it wasn't that uncommon to "clip" a car if there was serious front end damage in an accident. Look really closely where the inner fenders attach to the firewall on the inside of the engine compartment, and look up under the fenders up and toward the back of the car for welds. I think it was most common to "clip" a car at the firewall, but they also sometimes did it a little farther back.

Other easy things to do:

You can easily remove the scuff plates with a screw driver and look at the top of the inner rockers and see if anything looks funny there (they used to clip cars a foot or so back into the "cab" of the car, so you should see a weld if that was the site).

Get up in the trunk and look on the underside of the package tray--what color is the paint/overspray? Does it match the Marti report?

Get up under the dash--what color is the overspray up in there?

Remove the front kick panels (just a couple of screws) and look at the paint color underneath.

If you can't see anything obvious, and all of the hidden paint matches the Marti report, take it to a body shop that works on old cars and have them look it over and put it up on their lift. If they can find no evidence of the metal work having been done, don't buy the car because the VIN tag and driver's door (or just the door tag) have likely been swapped!!!

OP
OP
C

charlieb

VINs not matching

The Mustang is not currently painted original color( Highland Green),but I checked the parts you mentioned and they do match with the original color on the Marti.The dash ,trunk area etc......If I buy the car and replace the fender aprons (which are not in very good shape). What consequences may I face , because of the inner fenders not having a VIN in the future???Thanks!!!

Perkchiro

It would probably devalue your car to some extent. I would think that having conflicting VIN's would be a liability. I would also think that replacing the aprons with no VIN, and having a correct title and dash plate VIN would be preferable.

rvrtrash

Did anyone but me ever see the original "Gone in 60 Seconds"? You take the dash and door VIN's off a totaled car and transplant them onto a good car you "obtained cheaply". I would pass and would check the fender VIN with the local police. I'm sure what the seller has done is illegal in all states.

Steve :mad:

CougarCJ

I believe that both fender aprons are stamped.

Another scenario is that the VIN on the fender is a mis-stamp.

7F92S.jpg

This is a mis-stamp. This VIN literally decodes as a 1967 standard convertible Cougar with an S code 390-4V (with Ford series sequential numbers rather than Mercury which all begin with 5xxxx) There were no Cougar convertibles until 1969. This VIN should be 7F02S...

Not knowing what either of the VIN's are on your car, I ask the question; does everything match except for one number or letter?

franklinair

I'm a cautious, conservative type. I've maintained a philosophy for years & years: "When in doubt, don't." It has served me well when making decisions or choices. There will be another Mustang down the road (and the numbers will match).
Neil

robert campbell

Thanks High Country Bob!!!!
First of all is the VIN number visible on the left side in the notch for a 67 car? Is the VIN number a 68 VIN number? Is it a 67 number IE. 7R01 whatever?? Have you checked each inner fender panel for a VIN? The left front inner panel and rear inner panel and the right front inner panel and rear panel? They are visible from inside the fender with the front tires off. A little wire brushing and you can see them from the inside.

Next, what are the sheetmetal date codes? If a panel has been replaced it will have a way different code especially if it is a 67 panel?

Hold the horses!!! Let’s do some more research!! It may just be one panel has been replaced. At the same time it may be a stolen or fake. Give us more info and we will step you through it. Many cars repaired years ago got panels from old cars. This could have easily happened. Re-pops have only been in existence for 20 years or so. These cars are way older than that.

Mo info please!!!

Rob

hicountrybob

Thanks High Country Bob!!!!
First of all is the VIN number visible on the left side in the notch for a 67 car? Is the VIN number a 68 VIN number? Is it a 67 number IE. 7R01 whatever?? Have you checked each inner fender panel for a VIN? The left front inner panel and rear inner panel and the right front inner panel and rear panel? They are visible from inside the fender with the front tires off. A little wire brushing and you can see them from the inside.

Next, what are the sheetmetal date codes? If a panel has been replaced it will have a way different code especially if it is a 67 panel?

Hold the horses!!! Let’s do some more research!! It may just be one panel has been replaced. At the same time it may be a stolen or fake. Give us more info and we will step you through it. Many cars repaired years ago got panels from old cars. This could have easily happened. Re-pops have only been in existence for 20 years or so. These cars are way older than that.

Mo info please!!!

Rob
Oh, Rob, YOU'RE GOOD, (you must have grown up in Kitsap County). I was going to wait this fellow out but you have handed him all the TOOLS he needs to ID this car. Bob here.