• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Update on GT/CS being auctioned

rananim

I added a lot of info on my car in response to requests under the previous thread.
Also started gallery with three photos, more to come.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rananim

The Marti Report just came in, giving official recognition. Looks like it is a very early one. Build date was February 13, 1968. According to Paul Newitt's timeline, they started production four days later (2/17), with exception of a few as early as Dec. 28, 1967. Anyone know anything?

joedls

I'm not sure, but my car was built on the same day as yours and the order type is the same. Someone here once wrote that this order type was for promotional cars.

OP
OP
R

rananim

Paul Newitt wrote, responding in the affirmative to my request to use his time line for the auction. In return, I am to send photos of the auction - hopefully with happy ending.
He also cleared up question I had regarding production date. He said the time line had been updated to show that full production started in mid-January, with most cars being built in March and April.

Russ

My Highland Green CS was built on February 14 and was a "basic-off standard" order also. This type of order was initiated by Ford so that special models were available to the dealers at the time of the car's introduction. Ford determined the options, colors and interiors and then made them available to the dealers. These "early" GT/CS Mustangs were in the "first one thousand" produced, but were not considered promotional cars, just early production "Specials".

Russ