• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Two Painless kits ...

FirecrackerKTM

$230 difference in price?

Husband--electrical guy--says the Stang needs to be rewired. I'm no expert but what I've seen is a corroded, taped, mice-chewed mess so he's probably right. Painless shows two kits--a universal Ford kit for $600, and a Mustang-specific kit for $830. What are you paying extra for in the Mustang kit??

http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=10123&SearchAll=Classic Cars

http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=20121&SearchAll=Classic Cars

Ruppstang

I would stay with factory Ford harness. Good used stuff for under $300 except the tail light harness which is unique to the GT-CS and HCS. If you decide to go that way let me know I have all lot of that stuff around. Marty

robert campbell

KTM,
Don't let your husband read this. I have yet to "totally" rewire a Mustang. Get in there and clean it up. Remove all the stupid add on stuff. I have done this many times. Your rear wire harness is one of a kind!! For God's sake you drove this car from Washington!! The wiring worked ok then!! Make sure the grounds are good and clean and keep pushing forward.

Be patient and do not throw the baby our with the wash!! Shrink wrap and patience and you will get there!

I am out of pocket until Tuesday afternoon! Keep the faith!!!!

Rob

OP
OP
F

FirecrackerKTM

The factory stuff is that much better? Really? How?

I mean, if it saves us $600+, that's $600+ that can be spent elsewhere :D

CougarCJ

I am still needing to catalog my pile-O parts from my GT/CS.

Pretty sure that my tail light harness is either still on the car or in a box.

Is the tail light harness from a 1965 Thunderbird, or is it a combination 1965 Thunderbird harness with Mustang connectors?

Northern Pony

The harness is from a 65 Thunderbird, and that is a good source if you are looking for a tail light harness, easier to find.
BoB

Ruppstang

The factory stuff is that much better? Really? How?

I mean, if it saves us $600+, that's $600+ that can be spent elsewhere :D

It is hard to beat Ford wiring that Ford poured many dollars of enginering in to for one model of car. As Rob said put some sweat equity in to cleaning up your old harness or replace the parts that are not repairable.