• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

trunk detail

GTCS42

Hi all...

Is there a particular spare tire hold-down bolt that is supposed to be used on the GT/CS? When you look in the NPD and Mustangs Plus catalogs, they list bolts for every year, it seems, except 1968. I have the GT wheel spare. Can anybody clarify? Thanks!

CougarCJ

J Bolt

There should be two different ones, probably.

Pretty sure that the styled steel wheels and standard stamped steel wheels used two different length bolts. I will try and research it later on.

hcsstang

I'm guessing but I think that my J bolt is 5/8 in diameter. I checked most of the supply stores and I could not find one with the right size hole in the disk shaped plate . So I drilled a hole in the disk. I found the right nut to hold the tire down. The jack and handle is supposed to be under the tire. Hope that this helps. The MCA judges haven't said any thing about this set up.

CougarCJ

There should be two different ones, probably.

Pretty sure that the styled steel wheels and standard stamped steel wheels used two different length bolts. I will try and research it later on.

I'm back.:wink: Had to pick up a parts car.:cheesy: (69 cougar)

There are two different J-bolts for 1968 Mustangs. No specific listing for collapsible wheels.

C8ZZ-1448-A
Standard steel wheels, 1/2"-13 x 8-3/4 inches long. Threads about 4 inches, more or less.

C8WY-1448-A
Style steel wheels, 1/2"-13 x 9-3/4 inches long. Threads about 4 inches total, more or less.

murf104

I have seen these measurements in the MPC too. BUT, think about this! The GT (slotted as some call it) wheel is held down by only a little plate and a wing nut, yet they list it as being longer than the hold down for the regular steel wheel, and the regular wheel is mounted with the jack handle/lug wrench on top of the wheel, which means to me that a longer bolt would be needed, not the shorter bolt as is listed in the 1975 MPC that gives the dimensions listed in the post above. This makes no sense to me! I have posted here in the past trying to get someone with the factory issued GT wheels to measure their hooked bolt, photograph and post an image of the hold down plate, and clue us in on how the factory equipped those cars with the slotted wheels.
You are correct, no one that I have been able to find sells the correct hold down bolt or plate for the GT wheels. HELP! This is driving me nuts. Who has an original verified 68 with this option and can or will bring this question to a resolution. PLEASE, a nice image with measurements of both and hold down bolt and the plate.

murf104

The spare tire hold down on the 68 GT cars are still a mystery. The MPC lists a different "J" hook for the spare with the slotted wheel and a hold down plate with a part number indicating it was used on a Mercury. I would like to be certain of what is the correct length hook and if a plate was really used on the 68 cars. Can anyone on this forum come up with a car that is verified by a Marti report that came with the slotted wheels and has the "J" hook and hold down plate that is listed in the master parts catalog or shown on the jack and tire stowage instruction that is being sold for the inside of the deck lid? Can anyone verify that there was in fact a different bolt and plate used in 68. Also, does your Marti report mention "four" or "five" slotted wheels when the vehicle does not have the GT option? Please check your trunk and your Marti report and help resolve this issue. Thanks!

murf104

Since this question drew absolutley no public response, is it safe to assume that the special hold down arrangement for the slotted or GT wheel is only a myth and that the parts listed in the MPC and the reproduction instruction sticker showing spare tire stowage are also a mistake and this was never used on any 68 Mustang? When I look in the gallery a large number of our cars have these slotted wheels and of all of these none can be verified and have the above mentioned way of holding the spare, jack handle and jack? Paul, you probably have seen more of the CS population and photographed more cars then anyone on the planet, can this lack of any documentation about the spare hold down be true? Does a car exist with the set up shown on the GT wheel instruction sheet? Help!

harryz

You might try asking this question in one of the general Mustang forums (e.g.: Vintage Mustang Forums) as this applies to all '68 Mustangs, not just the GT/CS.

Harry Z.

murf104

In addition to being posted here, this question was also on the Vintage Mustang forum, both in the general and in the concourse section, and also was on the 428 SCJ forum. All four of the posted areas netted one response of an unverified hold down plate and a reproduction instruction sheet stuck to the bottom side of the trunk lid. NOWHERE has anyone provided specific documentation or images that the optional wheels ever had the "mythical" hold down arrangement. Until I see proof this was used with the slotted wheel option or the GT option, I will consider it a myth! With all of the cars using the slotted wheels it is difficult to imagine that no one on all of the mentioned forums can provide verification that there EVER WAS such an optional spare tire hold down. I hope that someone here can prove this assumption incorrect, but for now it seems the instruction sheet does not exist except in reproduction form and that there are no cars with the different "J" hook and the little round hold down plate. Prove to me that this did exist!

hicountrybob

In addition to being posted here, this question was also on the Vintage Mustang forum, both in the general and in the concourse section, and also was on the 428 SCJ forum. All four of the posted areas netted one response of an unverified hold down plate and a reproduction instruction sheet stuck to the bottom side of the trunk lid. NOWHERE has anyone provided specific documentation or images that the optional wheels ever had the "mythical" hold down arrangement. Until I see proof this was used with the slotted wheel option or the GT option, I will consider it a myth! With all of the cars using the slotted wheels it is difficult to imagine that no one on all of the mentioned forums can provide verification that there EVER WAS such an optional spare tire hold down. I hope that someone here can prove this assumption incorrect, but for now it seems the instruction sheet does not exist except in reproduction form and that there are no cars with the different "J" hook and the little round hold down plate. Prove to me that this did exist!
I'm with you, AMEN.

murf104

This discussion is also on other forums. Check out this material and these pictures and discussion.

http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=10307.0
Can anyone add to this? Seems these little plates are very scarce. Please check your trunk for the type of hold down, "J" hook and instruction sheet that YOU have, then let us know what you found.

hcsstang

While at the MCA show in Ohio I was checking out what others were using. The disk is three inches dia. . The bolt is one half inch dia. . I have the orginal bolt and it's a long one. I have the jack and handle under the tire. The disk does not have any tabs bent down. When I get the judging sheet from MCA I'll post the results. Maybe I better list it different. I purchased the repro one but it was 4 inches in dia. but the hole was for a 3/8 bolt. The three inch disk is what others had.

murf104

Is you are interested in getting one of the small round hold downs for your slotted or GT spare wheel. check this thread and let Scott know you are interested. Seems to be a very elusive part that is almost extinct and is next to impossible to find at a swap meet or NOS. Go here for more info < http://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=10307.0

John McGilvary

Hi all...

Is there a particular spare tire hold-down bolt that is supposed to be used on the GT/CS? When you look in the NPD and Mustangs Plus catalogs, they list bolts for every year, it seems, except 1968. I have the GT wheel spare. Can anybody clarify? Thanks!

Don't know if it will help or not but I have a picture in my gallery,
( 68.5 California Special/428CJ ) that will show you how my spare came originally. It came with the jack handle on top of the slotted GT wheels.
The instruction sticker is also original and it shows the jack handle on the top of the tire and the jack underneath.
I know that most owners are saying that the GT wheels came with the round washer, but mine did not.

John

GTCSMustang

That's a good data point John. Should have thought to ask you. Thanks.

Scott

franklinair

I just stumbled onto another photo showing the jack handle on top of the spare, similar to what John's photo shows.
It's an E-bay ad, item #290241942218 for an original '68 coupe (photo #22). Sorry I'm not savvy enough to bring the ad up in this thread. Hope this may help.

Neil

Mosesatm

Here are 2 conflicting pictures.

Attachments

• trunk small.jpg
    trunk small.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 32
  • Trunk 89c9_1.jpg
    Trunk 89c9_1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

franklinair

Quite honestly, I've never seen the round center piece until recently. But most of my experience has been with east coast cars, which use the jack handle hold down.

Neil

CougarCJ

Here are 2 conflicting pictures.

Some cars with styled steel wheels had a round pad make of heavy felt for protection of the wheel. I know that I have seen it on consours Boss cars 1969/70. Anyone know about 1968?