• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Transmission Kickdown Install*Need Diagram/Photos Help

njmop

I just had my transmission rebuilt and installed it along with my engine. I never had a kickdown cable/setup when I bought the car and just bought the Scott Drake kit and tried to install it. I have a few old Ford diagrams, but they don't show the whole setup, from trans neutral start switch area to where it connects to the pedal assembly.

Can anyone post or link to some photos? It is a 68 trans, stock setup.

Looking for the attaching point to the trans and then another photo of the attachment to pedal assembly. Also a photo of the black clip that comes with the kit installed too would help.

I've attached a picture of the kit and because it's a 66-68 kit, I think there might be extra pieces, but I don't know for sure...like the"L" bracket. Also the spring, is that for a 6 cyl or earlier model or what? This may seem simple to some but when I googled this topic, most posts weren't resolved or photos didn't help. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 108577.jpg
    108577.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 69

robert campbell

First locate your bracket hanging down from the throttle assemble. I should be very obvious and almost down the the bottom of the block on the drivers side. You can also see it easily from above if you do not have power brakes. The little clip is just like a carb linkage clip and secures the adjustment pin the spins on the threaded end of the cable. You put the clip on the bracket at the same time with the adjustment pin and lock/snap it down on the treaded rod.

The bracket with the slotted hole in your picture bottom right and bolts right on the end of your shift linkage shaft. The shaft is threaded and the oval hole slips right on. The offset is away from the tranny I think. If when installed it points somewhat straight up you got it right. It is designed to allow the cable to pull it forward. And when tightened it should move freely.

The little 90 degree bracket and spring use a bolt on the side of the tranny to allow it to pull aft and keep the kick down bracket in the aft position. The spring I think hooks in the groove on the peg to hold the non threaded end of cable onto the shift bracket.

I will look for a pic! After we get it on, we can talk how to adjust. It is a critical part of how the tranny works and shifts. Most people do not know that.

Rob

robert campbell

pihttp://www.google.com/imgres?q=Mustang+c4+transmission+kickdown+linkage&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ACGW_enUS401US401&biw=1843&bih=915&tbm=isch&tbnid=qZWEoDmbz27awM:&imgrefurl=http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forums/how-to-service-c4-transmissions-t20090.html&docid=UJrFhIMuWCRPFM&imgurl=http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/35498193%252Bw750%252Bst0/mump_1101_17_%252Bservice_ford_mustang_c4_transmission%252B_vacuum_modulator.jpg&w=750&h=563&ei=ap1CT4TiOaTSiAL5p5C1AQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=146&vpy=223&dur=3711&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=160&ty=212&sig=111423395423440863955&page=1&tbnh=79&tbnw=114&start=0&ndsp=57&ved=0CEsQrQMwAActure

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

OK, I have the front connected to the throttle assembly and the back looks right except for the 90 degree bracket and spring. There are a few bolts I can pull to mount it, but non speak to me and scream "I'm the one". Any more details on that end?

As far as adjustment, my intake isn't on the motor yet, but I have a holley 4 barrel carb. I've heard that different, non-stock carbs might cause issues too. I'll need help there soon. I don't want to ruin my trans or drive down the road slamming gears!

That link above isn't working for me either...

Mosesatm

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Those links worked and I should be good to go until I do my final adjustment.

Thanks!

franklinair

The shop manual is pretty straight forward. PM me your e-maill address and I'll send you a photo of the page. (My computer won't let me post photos here) If you have a shop manual, look at chapter 7, page 27.

Neil

Last edited:

robert campbell

Carb does not have any affect on kick down adjustment for your application. I can help you through it and it is important!

Rob