• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tracking one down...

macatron

Hi All,

Over 15 years ago I went into a local Barnes and Noble looking for a copy of of Mr. Newitt's GT/CS recognition guide. They didn't have one but for some odd reason, they had his home phone number thinking it must be the publisher's number... Since ordering the book from him, I haven't thought about GT/CSs in quite awhile. Nice guy, BTW!

To go back further, though, I've loved these cars since I was a kid and first saw photos of the '68 my dad had bought new. What I'm wondering is what resources there may be to track this car down whether or not it's still on the road... Some things in my favor: using the recognition guide, I know there weren't many sold new in Utah and there were less than 5 with the color/drive train combo - my dad wouldn't drive anything without a manual transmission. The one detail I lack is the VIN, though I do have a clear image of his original license plate.

Any help is appreciated!!!

J.Bart

well there is a pretty healthy network of gt/cs owners here.
how about a description and location, paint color , stripe color, eng. trans set up
any info you can think of. where was it bought and where did he live.
people here know where alot of these cars are.
you never know, you might get lucky and find it.

OP
OP
M

macatron

Hey, well thanks for the response.

It was bought new at Ken Garff Ford in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was red with red interior and a white stripe. It was a 289 (I believe it was a 2-barrel carb) with the 3-speed manual trans. I believe he sold it in Salt Lake City in 1972 but I can't be sure of that year.

I did email Ken Garff ford to find out if they had records back that far. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath...

Last edited:

DenverJim

The one detail I lack is the VIN, though I do have a clear image of his original license plate.

Call the insurance company that insured the car. they will have the VIN. If you have the license plate number, call the State that issued it and give them the number and the year. They will also have a record of the VIN. Once you have the VIN, you'll have an easier time tracking the car down.

Jim

OP
OP
M

macatron

Call the insurance company that insured the car. they will have the VIN. If you have the license plate number, call the State that issued it and give them the number and the year. They will also have a record of the VIN. Once you have the VIN, you'll have an easier time tracking the car down.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I sure do appreciate the advice. The DMV in Utah got back to me in less than an hour (can you believe it???) to let me know that they didn't have any info on it. Also, they said that if they did, they're subject to privacy laws and couldn't share it legally.

Hopefully, my dad can remember who insured it and I'll give them a call. I never thought about that angle!

If and when I get the VIN, where do I go from there?

PFSlim

Good luck. I am sure it wont be easy to track down. As you can see, there are quite a few members (owners) on this site but it seems to me there are just as many owners still out there that are not members of this site. Keep posting information about the car. Follow the advice of these guys above. Amazing how they know these things. You can also attempt to contact Paul N. He may have another angle.

Good luck!!

Paul

OP
OP
M

macatron

Thanks! I'm a member of another car enthusiast site and I know that out of all the owners, few are members and of those few members, even fewer are actually active online. But, I'm hoping with some persistance, it pays off.

I did get another bit of info. It's quite possible he traded this car in to a Toyota dealership in Provo, UT in 1972 or 1973.

CougarCJ

Maybe you could find it by the license plate number? Any family pictures with the car in the background? Might show the license plate.

6t8-390gt

Since you have the original dealer name and info on the car I am confident Kevin Marti could help. He does have a research fee, however, I think it is reasonable.

Danny

franklinair

If you had/have the VIN..........wouldn't it b a hoot if it were listed in the registry?!!

Neil

OP
OP
M

macatron

Well, I fired off a request to the folks at Marti Auto to find out what kind of research they can do to help me find the VIN. I've long hoped this Mustang was still out there!

Just for fun, I included the only shot I have...circa 1970.

Attachments

• 1968 GTCS crop.jpg
    1968 GTCS crop.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 80

p51

The Marti report indicates the dealership that sold the car as well as the date it was sold, so if you have those two pieces of info (along with the attributes of the car) I'd imagine they could get you a VIN #.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Macatron, I looked through the old online version of the Registry and didn't find your car. There were only two 3 speed cars with DSO 73 (Salt Lake). One is Lime Gold and the other is Sunlit Gold.

Sorry. They could still be in the original printed Registry that Paul Newitt keeps. Good luck with your search.

hookedtrout

Macatron, I looked through the old online version of the Registry and didn't find your car. There were only two 3 speed cars with DSO 73 (Salt Lake). One is Lime Gold and the other is Sunlit Gold.

Sorry. They could still be in the original printed Registry that Paul Newitt keeps. Good luck with your search.

My car is also DSO 73 and it's a 3 speed car and it's Acapulco Blue.

J.Bart

Well, I fired off a request to the folks at Marti Auto to find out what kind of research they can do to help me find the VIN. I've long hoped this Mustang was still out there!

Just for fun, I included the only shot I have...circa 1970.

looks like canddyapple red

if marty could give a list of red 3 speed cars from dso 73, there might be enough info from the picture to figure out which car it would be.
it looks like a non early, non gt with flip top gas cap, with wheel covers