• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The Great Aemoo28 GT/CS Adventure!!

Midnight Special

...Well said Neil. While this thread has produced some great "drama" with alot of people going over the top (perpetually) helping out; I too think it's time to come to terms...

Naming this car "Satan" and proceeding to destroy it before our eyes while playing on sym"pathetic" support from people who DO love these cars is getting old IMO.

My advice would be to wise up, or cut your (Amy's) losses and pass it on to someone who will give it the attention it needs.

It's one thing to make a blind purchase and attempt to drive it 1000 miles, but quite another to keep killing it over & over again - running it hot until it quits! If I were the one helping out to the extent of Ron and Paul - I'd be pretty disappointed...

Last edited:

joedls

Amy,
Don't drive the car until you get everything fix. You could do serious and/or permanent damage that would cost thousands to fix. Second 347 is a bad motor choice. Look at this decoder page. http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topics/decode/decode.html See what you car should have. If it an A code it should be a 289. It would be better to go with a built 289 than a 347 stroker motor. I bet that the high end $35,000+ c/s cars don't have 347's in them. According to the decoder the engines that were available are the 289, 302, 390, 427 and the 428. These motors would show more respect to the car's heritage.

P.s. This is Dennis from Kidd Valley

As far as I know, there was no "A code" or 427 GT/CCs from the factory.

sema88

I have not seen Amy's door tags or vin. I was just looking on the decoder page and seeing what was available for a 68 Mustang. I thought she mentioned it was an A code, but not for sure. So I think she has some options, just not a 347.

joedls

I have not seen Amy's door tags or vin. I was just looking on the decoder page and seeing what was available for a 68 Mustang. I thought she mentioned it was an A code, but not for sure. So I think she has some options, just not a 347.

Again, as far as I know, there was never a 427 68 Mustang from the factory. And the A code (289 4V), was not offered in 1968 for the Mustang. I believe that offering was replaced with the J code (302 4V).

BTW, a 347 could be made to look just like the factory C code or J code and no one would be able to tell the difference without tearing the engine down (or unless they pushed on the go-pedal). So, I don't understand why the 347 is not an option???

Last edited:

davidathans

A 347 is a bad motor eh? I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. They burn a little bit of oil, but what motor doesnt. They won't last as long as a 302, true, but it is a performance motor. You would not build a 347 for your GT/CS if you weren't looking for performance. Dont build yourself a 347 if all you are looking for is reliability, although i have had NO problems with mine. Sema88, i think one ride in my car would change your tune about 347s man Haha

franklinair

Time to put this thread to bed.

Here's my final input on this subject:
Amy - ship this puppy to me in NC. In 6 months I'll have it ready to drive (safely) anywhere in the continental U.S., including NC to WA. Your cost will be my costs. Labor is free. It will be MCA correct for a Daily Driver, and then some. Whatever it takes, I'll do. When you get it back it won't be Satan any longer. It WILL be Black Beauty. If you ever wanted to take a leap of faith, here's your chance. I've done about a dozen of these (all '68's) over the years and I guarrantee you won't be disapointed ever again with this car.

The end.

Neil

PS (You should have bought my C/S when you had the chance):wink:

calspcl

Sounds like one of us have forgotten how little we knew about cars when we were young and the youthful enthusiasm we had when we got our first old car.

Last edited:

sema88

Easy easy, nothing bad about the 347. I see your hp and 1/4mi numbers and they are awesome. Don't tease me about taking me for a ride:grin: I'm all game for that!!! I was mearly giving my 2 cents, that if she does need a motor she should stay with a motor size that was an option for that year. She may want to put the car back to pebble beige and restore it to concourse. Due to its rarity.

What we really need is Amy to give us some door tag info!!

My mistake. There is NO A code for '68. They did offer a 289 2v in 1968. My list (see link above), does not designate for CS's

Peace...and take me for a ride!!

davidathans

oh alright...i understand what you meant now...she's got a rare car...a 347 isnt for her...i completely understand that...

i misunderstood you...i thought you had a problem with the 347 itself.

Good luck Amy...you are going to spend alot of money. i think thats all that needs to be said lol

just make sure you have someone who is experienced that you can trust and has the resources to do the job correctly....maybe take frainklinair up on his offer...

the offer for a ride stands, especially for the NW Regional Director of the Saleen Club of America...i bet you have a few nice sets of wheels...send me an email at gtcs347@yahoo.com if you're ever going to be in the San Fernando Valley area in CA

Diesel Donna

Shoooooot...I'd ship my car to Neil in a hoofbeat! Scott (CougarCJ) put new horseshoes on my pony and I drove her to work today. I sure do appreciate all the help he has given me. I hadn't driven the car since April. This site is like no other for people helping each other.

sema88

David - I put up a couple of photos in my gallery. I think your black car is hot looking and has plenty of kahoneys to back it (my wife and I have a thing for black cars). If I'm every down in Cali we'll have to take her to the track. That would be too cool.

J.Bart

Amy,
it won't always be that way, take heart, an older car can be dependable transportation. A couple drove their mustang, a 71 i think, from north carolina to park city utah for the show. the 68's are good, well built and designed cars. but with anything, if they aren't maintained, they get this way. it sounds like the previous owner didn't give your 68 what it needed to keep it in shape. Anytime i purchase a used car i plan on working on it, and after you get things fixed it will be a nice ride. one that you can drive anywhere without any problems. i'll send you a couple of pictures so you can see the starting point of my 68.

Mustanglvr

Easy easy, nothing bad about the 347. I see your hp and 1/4mi numbers and they are awesome. Don't tease me about taking me for a ride:grin: I'm all game for that!!! I was mearly giving my 2 cents, that if she does need a motor she should stay with a motor size that was an option for that year. She may want to put the car back to pebble beige and restore it to concourse. Due to its rarity.

What we really need is Amy to give us some door tag info!!

Here is the thread with Amy`s Marti report Dennis.
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3199&page=3&highlight=pebble

aemoo28

Dennis! Thank you for being here!
Tim! Sorry you don't like this thread.
Ron! The objective was met. She was driven out of California successfully thanks to your hard work & determination.
I've had a really good time reading everyone's stories. Thank you for your encouragement. I will have her up and running again soon.
And I'm keeping her name. It is what it is.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Dennis! Thank you for being here!
Ron! The objective was met. She was driven out of California successfully thanks to your hard work & determination.
I've had a really good time reading everyone's stories. Thank you for your encouragement. I will have her up and running again soon.
And I'm keeping her name. It is what it is.

I have the scar on my hand to keep that Satan name...OUCH!! LOL...

No 427 for 1968. Some of the early literature, and uninformed Mustang book writers keep suggesting that myth.

I didn't realize the limited lifespan for the 347. Sure-- a 289/302 with a Cobra intake and Holley 600 will run just fine. Perhaps the Edelbrock fuel injection for reliability. I'd add a shift kit for the transmission, too. A chirp of the tires here and there would let those late model owners know what's under the hood (watch out Roush-ers!--LOL)

I think that Amy needs to get those WHITE stripes on there, and have a good time driving on the streets of Seattle. She needs her time with the car, and enjoying it without the problems. She is in good hands, and the MNW club is going to help her.

I'm just glad that I could help. Ron deserves a medal for his hard work and driving it to her. If you got one of my latest fliers, please give Ron a call for any parts you need.

It's the help and comraderie that made this experience what it's been. Amy's life has changed forever from all the help and attention.

That is what the GT/CS experience is all about.

Paul (grabby from band-aids) N.