• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Taillight rebuild for CS

Calstang68

My California special's tail lights need to be rebuilt, but I can't find the wiring and sockets to rebuild them. I hope someone can help me!! the sockets are old, frozen, and are causing me to burn up turnsignal switches. If anyone knows where to find them, please let me know.

Thanks

Brad

Talan423

can anyone else confirm that the taillight wiring and sockets are the same as the 1964 thunderbird? it will probably be easier to find a set of these than gt/cs, shelby or 65 t-bird, just make sure they are in better shape than the one's you are replacing. maybe you can find a set on ebay or a swap meet. good luck.

bpcsgt

I also have the same problem. My question is, can you use the socket and wiring off any regular 67 or 68 mustang tail light?

rjw

Since one of my sockets disintegrated while trying to change a bulb, I ordered a replacement socket from Larry's Mustang & Thunderbird parts in California. It was in good shape. However, I haven't installed it yet, as I understand it is going to be a task.
Richard

68sunlitgold

Like Tom stated...your best bet is to purchase the T-bird light wiring. I know the 65 & 66 are same and I believe the 64 will also work. Look on ebay, I see T-bird lights on there all the time. You may want to do what Rich said and call Larry's Mustang & T-birds and see what he has.
Doug

carvensno

if you do replace your wiring harness, be to keeping your part# tag from the wire loom, i believe its redish purple color tag that has the special part# for CS's and HCS's if it is still there. the CS i had the tag was still there and in good shape, its suppose to be another key item on if its a real CS or not.

68sunlitgold

The light housing wiring is not the unique CS part, it is a standard '65 T-bird wiring. What 1 GT/CS is talking about is the rear wire harness that runs from the driver side trunk area to each of the rear lights, side markers, and license plate lights, it is unique to the CS and has the purple tag at the end of the harness near the passenger rear light.
Doug

OP
OP
C

Calstang68

Found a really good replacement socket at Napa auto parts today! It also has a blad for a ground wire on it, so you don't have to worry any more about tring to get the tail lights to ground good through the housings!!!

LS6388 is the part number, and they cost $4.33 ea here.