• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tach/Ammeter service

rvrtrash

I thought I'd share a resource with everyone. I had to rebuild the tach on my '73 Mach 1 and was given the name of a company that converts them to 3 wire tachs. He also does ammeter to voltmeter conversions on the '68 ammeter so I went for that as well. I haven't installed the voltmeter yet, but my tach works great, and the price was the best I found out there. Excellent customer service as well. The movement in the tach wasn't accurate when I first got it, so the owner, Bob, paid shipping back to him, repaired it, and sent it out again, no questions. He really seemed like a nice guy that wanted it to be right. I can't ask for more than that. I'll post an update on the voltmeter when I get time to install it, but think it's going to be a lot better than the non-moving factory ammeter.

http://www.rccinnovations.com/

Steve

Mosesatm

How is a 3-wire tach different than our 2-wire tachs? Does it run in parallel instead of in series?

GT/CS S Code

I just dropped him an email this morning asking his opinion about why our tach is only reading at about 50% of actual rpm and I had an immediate response from him. Seems like a great guy to deal with. If we can't fix the problem electrically and it winds up being a problem with the tach itself then I guess we'll send it down to him for the conversion he offers ...

(Hey Arlie! Wow ... over 5,000 posts on the forum now!)
:cool:

CougarCJ

I am glad that Rocketman exceeded your expectations Steve.

I purchased one of his headlight relays, but have not installed it yet on my 1968 Cougar XR7.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

How is a 3-wire tach different than our 2-wire tachs? Does it run in parallel instead of in series?

The three wire tach has it's own power and ground and senses the ground signal at the coil, like an aftermarket tach. I had to run a new wire to the coil for that. The two wire runs the power wire for the coil through the tach (power in/power out= 2 wire) which means if the tach fails, you could lose power to the coil and the car stops wherever you happen to be.

Steve

PS. Scott gave me the reference. He didn't steer me wrong.

franklinair

This is a really good referral. When I get another Mustang, I'll have the ammeter converted to a voltmeter. I tried this on my own a while back with no success. The voltmeter concept is MUCH better.

Neil

green56

Meters

Does anybody now do they make a water temp gage that has numbers instead of the neddle that goes up so you have to guess what the temp is

whodat

Oh how I wish this would've been posted two weeks earlier. I just had two gauges recalibrated.