• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Sunday "Car Day"....

Midnight Special

... at last with a week of beautiful weather in Northern CA. De-hibernation and maintenance on C, J and S-codes, HCS and Machs will augment final preparation on Renee's car for Sacramento's "Autorama". 'Can't wait to take 'em all for a spin! Join us if you're in the area :)

Attachments

• IM002936.jpg
    IM002936.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IM002935.jpg
    IM002935.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 74
  • IM002934.jpg
    IM002934.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 73

rvrtrash

We had freezing rain and massive pileups yesterday. I think we still have a little winter left before the horses leave the barn. Enjoy your good weather, hope you have fun, and show the other brands how it's done.

Steve

PonyGal

Tim,

You don't know how much I thank you for everything you have done to help me get the Special ready for AutoRama in February!! I am looking forward to coming up tomorrow and starting the detailing on her. You are the best!! :wink:

Marty, I took your advise and put the car into the Autorama to be "judged" this year. I don't expect to win anything, but I am looking forward to getting her judged for the first time. I'll let you all know how it goes...

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Steve, I'm sorry about your freezing rain and the snow throughout the country, but you and the rest of the gang will be present (in spirit) as you were in Oct. 2009! After some minor fixes (including a fresh 4300 carb on the Black car), we're going to drive 'em, then update the photo albums as inspired by Jon's new addition of the "my garage" feature.

Renee, Just so you know, I've been accused of "poking fun" at Marty on another thread, so in your case - we have to get serious! ;-))
See you soon!...

Ruppstang

Tim,

You don't know how much I thank you for everything you have done to help me get the Special ready for AutoRama in February!! I am looking forward to coming up tomorrow and starting the detailing on her. You are the best!! :wink:

Marty, I took your advise and put the car into the Autorama to be "judged" this year. I don't expect to win anything, but I am looking forward to getting her judged for the first time. I'll let you all know how it goes...

Good for you Renee, I would wish you luck but with your car and the pro cleaning crew on your side I would say you have a unfair advantage. But seriously do have fun regardless of how you place.( And I know you will) I see too many that get caught up in the competiton and it spoils the fun.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Good for you Renee, I would wish you luck but with your car and the pro cleaning crew on your side I would say you have a unfair advantage. But seriously do have fun regardless of how you place.( And I know you will) I see too many that get caught up in the competition and it spoils the fun.

Amen Marty! And the switch you sent us fits & functions perfectly! 'Wish we did it ourselves the first time instead of paying $200 to have the old one cleaned and talked about (by a guy reputed to restore cars for competition...)

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Tim, how much time would you say you spend a month maintaining your fleet? Just curious.

Good luck Renee! And as Marty said, it's all about having fun, regardless of how you place.

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Tim, how much time would you say you spend a month maintaining your fleet? Just curious.

Jon, if I were to average for the whole year, I would say about 3-4 days per month. Larger projects like engine swaps that command a week or more of weekends & evenings, balance some winter months where nothing is done. As you know, I acquired these cars in already great shape and drive them (alternately) on every clear day. Running repairs like the occasional alternator, PS hose, brakes, heater core, fluid changes, etc... are assessed and kept up with each vehicle during its driving cycle in addition to time spent cleaning.

That said; nothing I have done to date is anywhere near the magnitude of many of our members who are doing complete restorations (with many more hours) on their "one" car. Their dedication and sharing of information is my inspiration! :)

PonyGal

Good for you Renee, I would wish you luck but with your car and the pro cleaning crew on your side I would say you have a unfair advantage. But seriously do have fun regardless of how you place.( And I know you will) I see too many that get caught up in the competiton and it spoils the fun.

Marty,

My main objective whenever I enter my cars in any show is just for the fun. If I win anything, that's great, but if I don't, that's great too because I've had the opportunity to let other people share in the beauty of these old Mustangs. I love talking to people about them and hearing their stories of "when they used to own one".

PFSlim

I am willing to bet that Renee's special will do just fine!! Hmmmm. wonder why I would say that!

We are getting ready for World of Wheels here in KC. We have about 8 to 10 inches of snow on the ground - and cold. I need to get the cobra cleaned and ready to be trailered down to the show. Our show is Feb 11-13. We will be taking our three cobras again this year. Lots of work to get them ready - hauled down - show - and get back home to be bedded down.

Renee - please share your results. I will do the same. Best of luck.

Paul

quicknick

Lots of winter left here. It was 11 below zero this morning and 6" of snow today. I won't be thinking about the cali's for another 3 months.

obwan93001

Tim,
Every time your stable comes out, I am in awe!!! My fvorite is the "candy red" one!!!

Rob

Ditto that Rob! Someday I hope to have my one looking almost as good as any one of those! :smile: Nice job keeping them all up there Tim, you are an inspiration to the preservation of our beloved cars and all old Mustangs in general.

Oscar

obwan93001

Btw, best of luck at the AutoRama Renee'! Make sure to take some good pics of that trophy and your winning CS to share w/all of us here. :wink: You have some great peeps in your corner helping you get her ready and you have all our support here too!

Oscar

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Ditto that Rob! Someday I hope to have my one looking almost as good as any one of those! :smile: Nice job keeping them all up there Tim, you are an inspiration to the preservation of our beloved cars and all old Mustangs in general.

Oscar

Wow, Thanks Oscar, Rob and Paul! Indeed, Renee's car is the top banana of the bunch! We were too busy on Sunday for our photo shoot, but made a lot of mechanical and detailing progress. TJ worked hard as well while others came by to meet Truman (Renee's new pooch ;-) Weather permitting, we'll do it again this weekend and get some good pics of 'em all. :)

hookedtrout

Albeit having seen all your cars and Renee's in person and they are impressive, I'd have to say right now it's the nice weather and the fact that you can go out and play that has me jealous.

I'm in the same boat as one of the previous comments, freezing temps, snow falling, piles of snow surrounding the property have reached well beyond 8 feet high from pushing them all up throughout the winter. No sign of green grass or lawn chairs at my house. Truman would not be happy if he were here.

Have fun and enjoy!!

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

Well, from what I saw of Truman - YOU would be happy Cory, because he's the perfect "snuggle bug" to keep you warm ;-)

And I know....weather....but you will all have your days next spring & summer with shows, gatherings and outings with ME being the jealous one (up to my a$$ in air shows). That's why we're all grooming Renee to be our NorCal rep... She does it so well as a perfect person to go with a beautiful car :)

Last edited:

PonyGal

Paul, I guess you would know, wouldn't you :wink: I am very proud to own the car that you spent so much time restoring!! Looks like your show is the same weekend as the AutoRama here in Sacramento. Lots of luck to you too!! I'll make sure to post how things go.

Oscar, thanks for the kind words. You're right, I do have some great people helping me get her ready for the show next month. I couldn't do it without Tim and TJ!!

Cory, I don't believe Truman has ever seen snow since he came from a shelter in LA. Still, he is so full of life that I bet he'd have a ball romping around in the snow. And Tim's right, he is a "snuggle bug" (when he wants to be)!!

HappyHour

Good luck Tim and Renee!! Just got back from Mexico City and Oaxaca and moving into new place in LA.

I was just in SF (quick trip) and took out my CS. Along the way found out some items that need to be addressed including new headers (current non stock headers binding steering unit), new mufflers (internals coming undone), and breather off tranny needing attention (diaphram ruptured). I hope the forum can help me with these as I do some research and schedule work. :)

Ill see if I can make Sac Autorama to reconnect....it was pretty wet last couple days here in Cali but nothing like rest of the country!

Robert

OP
OP
Midnight Special

Midnight Special

'Great to hear from you, Robert. Yeah, we were all set to do cars last Sunday, but it rained, so this Saturday will be "it" before Autorama on Valentines Day weekend!

As for your "items to be addressed", I overheard Rob on another thread talking about headers, plus a lot of "tech" from others... Ask away!!
:)