• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Strong gas smell after driving

OP
OP
T

tomcwarren

Thanks for all the great advice, folks.

Looked at the tank, all fittings, hard lines, rubber, etc. from rear-to-front on Saturday, and found nothing amiss (my tank looks near-new, I'd replaced the sender, ring & gasket a few months back, and the underside is super-clean (no undercoating/mud/etc.), so it was easy to eyeball everything).

Pump-to-carb looked good, too, so I took her out for a heat-soak run. Returned to the garage, popped the hood (air cleaner was already off), and checked for percolation thru the venturis - nothing. I still smelled gas, though, and noticed a little pooling in the intake manifold valleys on the passenger side, as well as wetness around the rear carb bolt on that side. Started inspecting the line coming into the carb to see if the rubber was bad, or a clamp was loose, etc.

As soon as I wiggled the fuel line into the carb, I saw gas leak out of the banjo fitting at the fuel bowl (only 1 on this carb). Tightened it up and cleaned up all the fuel residue on the manifold / around the carb, and took it out again - no more leak, and, I think, no more heavy fuel smell.

I'm going to take it out today @ lunch (I work @ home) and see if another hot run-and-park will result in the same cloying gas smell in the garage. If not, then I've solved it. If not, then I may just ascribe it to the vented '60's tank technology and live w/it, as it appears that I don't have any serious leaks from the tank or line, and no fuel percolation to speak of.

In retrospect, I should have checked the most obvious thing(s) first - the banjo fitting may have been loose ever since I swapped carbs months ago :eek:. Live and learn.

Tom

robert campbell

Tom
I have been chasing a “loud audible solenoid clunk, not turn the starter problem! Starts ok when cold, but “click clunk, click clunk, click clunk” when hot. Started with battery terminals. Battery in trunk. Check all grounds. Starter solenoid was engaging and sending 12 volts down to starter, but no joy turning motor over. New battery as old one was borderline. Even went as far as stringing two pairs of jumper cables from batter in trunk to engine and solenoid to eliminate grounds and conections…… No joy…..

Rob has Masterpower mini high torque started…… Can’t be it…… Its brand new.......

Exchange for new one is on the way.

Rob