• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Stock Parts?

Wild Willie

I'm looking for advise as to if I should keep the stock parts that come off my 68 GT/CS C code Mustang. I'm restoring the car and will have parts I want or need to replace? an example would be parts like the starter, maniford, old carburator and so on.... should I just return the old starter for the $20 core charge ?

Ruppstang

I allways keep all of the orignal parts, even if you think they have no value. I don't know how many times I have gone back to look at them for marks or information. Depending on what kind of restoration you are doing, I would rebuild the orginals.There is nothing better for your car than Ford parts. Marty MCA 38812

J_Speegle

If your restoring the car you will likely need to reuse the originals (have them rebuilt) since replacements or reproductions often do not have the correct stampings or even shaped the same. A perfect example is the starter you mentioned - if original it will be stamped AUTOLITE and with the engineering number C7 or C8xxxxx. Replacements are often blank or will have AMERICAN MOTORS stamped on it- or something like that (most places do not even rebuild them any more)

Takes a little more effort but the restoration will show it. ;)

Now if your not really restoring the car (sort of rebuilding it) then yes keep the original parts as someone will need them for a restoration

Mustanglvr

If your restoring the car you will likely need to reuse the originals (have them rebuilt) since replacements or reproductions often do not have the correct stampings or even shaped the same. A perfect example is the starter you mentioned - if original it will be stamped AUTOLITE and with the engineering number C7 or C8xxxxx. Replacements are often blank or will have AMERICAN MOTORS stamped on it- or something like that (most places do not even rebuild them any more)

Takes a little more effort but the restoration will show it. ;)

Now if your not really restoring the car (sort of rebuilding it) then yes keep the original parts as someone will need them for a restoration

Does that include any year 289? Is there a difference between a starter in a car with manual or automatic transmission? I have a 1965 289 with a 4 speed manual toploader trans in my GT/CS. I am always having starter problems. Rhonda

Mosesatm

Is there any value in an old heater core and evaporator? I'm replacing mine (in fact the evaporator box parts are all over the kitchen table) and was going to take the old ones to a local radiator shop or recycle place, but if they are worth keeping I'll throw them on a shelf.

franklinair

I suppose I don't 'restore' to "Concourse" condition. I DO use parts & components that are period or year correct. I've installed rebuilt starters that are functionally correct, but surely not the original unit.
I have no qualms about doing a color change from original - but - I DO keep my color choice correct for the year/model. (Then I have the door tag changed to reflect the current color & interior.) My current C/S has had a color change, added dual exhaust (with correct valance & quad tips), Power Brakes, wheel well lip moldings, and am going to add Deluxe interior, Hood stripes, and vinyl top. All correct (but not original) for the year & model.
So I guess, technically, I 'modify' my cars. The only limit I place on myself is to stay within the boundaries of how it COULD have been built originally. But that's just me.

Neil

Ruppstang

I suppose I don't 'restore' to "Concourse" condition. I DO use parts & components that are period or year correct. I've installed rebuilt starters that are functionally correct, but surely not the original unit.
I have no qualms about doing a color change from original - but - I DO keep my color choice correct for the year/model. (Then I have the door tag changed to reflect the current color & interior.) My current C/S has had a color change, added dual exhaust (with correct valance & quad tips), Power Brakes, wheel well lip moldings, and am going to add Deluxe interior, Hood stripes, and vinyl top. All correct (but not original) for the year & model.
So I guess, technically, I 'modify' my cars. The only limit I place on myself is to stay within the boundaries of how it COULD have been built originally. But that's just me.

Neil

Neil I could not agree more with your car philosophy. Unless the car is rare or very valuable, then I would be inclined to keep it orginal. Marty

J_Speegle

Neil I could not agree more with your car philosophy. Unless the car is rare or very valuable, then I would be inclined to keep it orginal. Marty

The great thing about the hobby is that its large enough so that everyone can enjoy the cars as they like them - good thing Ford made enough of them so that we have this option. And I think we can all agree that the vast majority of the hobby fits modified description in some form.

As always the term "rare" is something we each have to evaluate for ourselves. Many would suggest that a Calif Special is rare in any form ;)

robert campbell

Don't ask me!!! I am the "cut and hack" type. I build them they way I want and to heck with it. And drive them hard, but put them away dry and pampered!

One think I noticed over the past ten years is that "well done" "restomods" were selling for the same value as concurs cars. Of course this is in the "more available" Mustangs. Shelby's and Boss's are another category above that command the most when as original as possible. I would suppose that a GT/CS could fit into this also.

A good example of a restomod commanding a ton more is a 67 or 68 coupe converted into a convertible and given a modern fuel injected motor and AOD or 5 speed.

At the same time I have seen early concurs correct Mustangs being matched by clones with modern drivetrains in price. All about what the buyer wants.

my 2 cents...

Rob

J_Speegle

One think I noticed over the past ten years is that "well done" "restomods" were selling for the same value as concurs cars. Of course this is in the "more available" Mustangs. Shelby's and Boss's are another category above that command the most when as original as possible. I would suppose that a GT/CS could fit into this also.

We saw the same thing in the 90's where people had too much disposable income when street rods were worth more than their restored Model A and early V8 counterparts.

With the down turn I think we've seen the modified/"restomuds" take a dump this time while many of the concours cars hold up better. Looking at the sales and auctions over the last year or more the modified cars (even the big name cars) have been hit real hard. But modified cars (hopefully IMHO ) were built for the owner not to make money

...A good example of a restomod commanding a ton more is a 67 or 68 coupe converted into a convertible and given a modern fuel injected motor and AOD or 5 speed.

Plenty of coupvertibles around here are going unsold. Saw an unfinished one today for $3500 - basically what a coupe would bring.

Oh well I'm sure we can cite examples to support any opinion. And there is plenty of opinions ;)