• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Steering Wheel

LUVMYCS

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace a steering wheel on a GT/CS?

And is it possible to just replace the pad? Like this one I found on ebay -http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HORN-PAD-BLACK-1968-68-MUSTANG-VERY-NICE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34200QQihZ006QQitemZ160076958981QQrdZ1

My pad is all warped and I wanted to replace, if it's not too difficult.
Thanks, in advance for your help!

Mosesatm

LUVMYCS said:
Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace a steering wheel on a GT/CS?

And is it possible to just replace the pad? Like this one I found on ebay -http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HORN-PAD-BLACK-1968-68-MUSTANG-VERY-NICE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34200QQihZ006QQitemZ160076958981QQrdZ1

My pad is all warped and I wanted to replace, if it's not too difficult.
Thanks, in advance for your help!
Replacing the pad is easy. What color of pad do you need? I have 2 or 3 good ones and will be glad to send one to you. I know that one is dark red, can't remember what the others are.

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

I need a black one. How much do you want for it? Actually first I would have to know that I can easily replace it. What type of tools are needed?

Talan423

the pad is only held on by two standard phillips trim screws that are accessed from the back of the pad. then you will be able to push the center trim piece out and install it on your new pad.
to install a new steering wheel you will need to remove the horn ring and components. remove the main steering wheel bolt and then screw it back in a few turns. i needed to use a lot of muscle to get mine off, rocking it back and forth side to side. i kept the bolt on a little bit so i didn't hit myself in the face when it let loose! push the new wheel on, tighten the bolt, put the horn back on and then the pad.
good luck

tom

JGFRANCK

removing steering wheel

Another way to remove your steering wheel is to take off your pad with the two phillip screws, remove the center bolt, and sometimes you can borrow a steering wheel puller at your local parts store,or rent one. (cheep to rent)You should first check for marks on the bolt and the wheel so you can line the wheel back into place when you put it back on. When there are no marks you can get a punch and mark them both. Then just use your puller and it will come right off. Hope this help. Joel

Mosesatm

LUVMYCS said:
I need a black one. How much do you want for it? Actually first I would have to know that I can easily replace it. What type of tools are needed?

I have a dark red one and an aqua one. lIf you want either I'll just send it to you, no charge.

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

Thanks Arlie but I think I rather find a black one. I didn't want to get into painting. The less work the better. I'm saving my strength for the more important restoration projects.

Thanks everyone for all your help

Mosesatm

If anyone else can use one of these send me a message and I'll box it up for you.
Mosesatm said:
I have a dark red one and an aqua one. lIf you want either I'll just send it to you, no charge.

69convert

If buying from ebay ask for a picture of the backside of the pad if . I bought a couple that looked great from the front but the opening in the back (that goes over the spokes of the steering wheel) had spread apart so much they looked awful when mounted.
Yes, you can see the back of the steering wheel from by looking in the windshield. Even if no one else notices you will know....

If you don't have a puller you can try the following. put a couple a blocks of wood against the firewall, put your feet against the wood blocks , your knees against the steeriin wheel at about 3 and 9 O'clock, then do "calf raises" while wiggling the steering wheel with your hands. Sometimes the steering wheel is not on all that tight and this will take it off. Do leave the steering wheel nut on a thread or two; with your hands on the wheel you shouldn't eat the steering wheel but why take a chance?

CALIF GIRL

Most auto stores like Kragen, or Pep Boys loan steering wheel pullers out.