• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 starter issue still undiagnosed...

mbsf1970

Bought multi meter yesterday. Tested on resting batt...12,8 v
Started car, 12,8v
Turned on lights, radio, ac, fog lights..12,3v

thoughts?

Stephen

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

For $14 should I go ahead and replace Voltage reg? I had one in my hand yesterday but ultimately decided against it. I figured that if the voltage readings remained so unchanging (even if they should have fluctuated) that the Volt Reg must be doing its job?? And if I do go ahead and change alternator, would you put in the 140 a version with internal voltage regulator??
Stephen

franklinair

I would recommend a solid state voltage regulator. They are a straight plug-in, no modification required. If you change out the alternator, use the same type that's already in the car. (Local parts houses usually have a free testing for alternators.)

Neil

Ruppstang

A easy way to test a alternator on the car with it running take a large screw driver and touch the center of the back side. It should pull the metal blade to it as it is magnetic when it is working.
Marty

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

SOLUTION!!!!

Hopefully, swapped out Voltage regulator ($14) and after doing so started car and battery was reading 14.5. Turned on lights, radio and a/c. and batt read 13.2 so. gunned engine and it read 13.1 SO..........I think that was the problem!
thanks to everyone for their suggestions and recommendations.

Stephen