• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Soda or Sand

hookedtrout

Someone get me headed the right direction on a soda/sand blaster for body work. Used a sand blaster about 25 years ago, don't remember much about them, now days it seems to be soda is more environmental friendly, do they work as well? Don't plan on doing a 100 projects so I don't need a $1000 worth of equipment but I don't want a piece of junk?

Soda or sand?
Type?
Things to look for?
Things to avoid?

Thanks for any input.

rvrtrash

First thing is, don't use sand. It causes silicosis in your lungs. The two products I regularly use are Aluminum Oxide and Glass beads. The alum oxide is for general blasting and the glass for soft metals like aluminum. The body shop I go to used soda on the '73 Mach 1 body that I'm just finishing up. It worked well and seems to be a lot safer/easier to use. I'm going to switch to it for my bigger parts that I clean in the back yard. I side benefit seems to be that the soda leaves a finish that is slightly resistant to rust, so you don't have to shoot primer on the metal as soon as you've blasted it, as long as you're inside and protected from rain, dew, sprinklers, etc. As for what to look for, buy something that has a good supply of parts, that you don't have to wait for the boat from China to arrive to get. Both my blasters are from Harbor Freight and I'm going to upgrade this summer. They work well, but I'm tired of waiting 6-8 weeks for nozzles when I wear them out.

Steve

PS. Make sure you get a hood with air supply. Nothing you breathe while blasting is good for you. The other alternative of course is to just pay for someone else to do the work. A lot of soda blasters will come to your location, because they don't have to worry about clean-up.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

So you say you are going to upgrade, what have you looked at as far as an upgrade, anything yet? How much does a hood with air supply run, is this like an SCBA thing?

Thanks for the input Steve.

CougarCJ

I think soda is a one time use, I believe that it is more for outside use.

Don't use play sand or sandbox sand, Silica sand can cause you health problems like Steve indicated.

I like a media called 'cut', it is used and recommended by a sandblasting shop that I used to live near in SoCal. I think that I have a bag of it at home with the name on it.

Works well in a blasting cabinet for general use. Lasts a long time, compared to glass beads.

Ruppstang

You will need a really big compresser or it will take for ever. I just had a 67 convertible blasted last month it cost $350 for that it is not worth my time not to mention you can do a lot of damage if you do not not know what you are doing on sheet metal. Marty

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

That's what I'm hearing, it takes a big compressor and I don't think mine is big enough, I'll check and see if anyone around here blasts.

carezcs

Cory
I had the body parts from a '46 Ford woodie I was restoring chemically dipped for about $350. This took off paint and rust but no metal. The final rinse was a phosphate dip which left a rust preventative coating. I had no issues rust for at least 6 months. The only thing it didn't remove was Bondo (strange) but luckily there was only 1 little spot. Don't know if this is available in your area but I will use it again on my next project.
Bruce

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

I'll go do a web search and see? Can't hurt I guess. How many or big of parts are you talking?

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Nothing found via internet search, when I get close I'll call some local auto body shops and see what options I have beyond just sanding my butt off.

CougarCJ

Cory, let me check, the guy I used is networked with the system manufacturer of the equipment and trailer.

carezcs

The company I used had tanks big enough to take a 40 Ford coupe body from the firewall back. This was about 6 years ago so don't know if the chemicals they used are still allowed in California or other states. I thought it was a caustic soda bath of some sort.
Bruce

rvrtrash

So you say you are going to upgrade, what have you looked at as far as an upgrade, anything yet? How much does a hood with air supply run, is this like an SCBA thing?

Thanks for the input Steve.

I haven't looked in to a replacement yet. I just know that I want to do it. I plan on switching to soda for at least one of my guns, and with the amount I will probably use it, will spend a little extra to get quality stuff.

Steve

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Looks like a nice outfit, any issues with painting after sodablasting, I'm hearing the soda leaves a film that must be removed, works good for bare metal protection but makes painting a little more of a chore in the prep work.

CougarCJ

Looks like a nice outfit, any issues with painting after sodablasting, I'm hearing the soda leaves a film that must be removed, works good for bare metal protection but makes painting a little more of a chore in the prep work.

Can't say, my pre arranged body and paint guy has flaked on me.

I am looking for recommendations in the Salem area.