• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Ski Country Special value?

67SCSGT

Hi all,

Debating on how much work to do to my '67 SCS. Also whether or not to hold onto it.
My main goal down the line is to have a '67 or '68 Fastback (again...I've had some in the past).
My car is a '67 GT S code coupe SCS, 4spd, vail blue but it is currently a dark blue like nightmist. I figure the SCS doesn't add much value to the car over a regular '67 GT S code coupe unless something out there specifically wants a SCS etc.

The car currently is without an engine so I'm trying to find a complete 390GT to drop into it. I have access to a good running 302 to drop in it but I feel having a 390GT will help value.

Kinda just rambling here. Thanks for any thoughts.

gt/csj4

I say keep it! If it is verified, and legit, you have one "rare" car although....

My dad is selling his 1-of-256 390 4v 4 speed GT car w/ bench seat deluxe interior fastback(s) for 35k :grin:

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Keep it and restore it as original as possible. It has a very desirable engine/transmission combination, color combination and it's a GT and a Ski Special! Very rare and a coupe is easier to see out the back window verses a fastback. :wink:

sportyworty

Mike you have already answered your own question. Sell the Coupe and get your Fastback. Always pursue what you want not what others want for you. You need to make the car run or will be leaving money on the table

CougarCJ

Mike you have already answered your own question. Sell the Coupe and get your Fastback. Always pursue what you want not what others want for you. You need to make the car run or will be leaving money on the table

I also agree with what Kerry wrote.

Let the next owner fall in love with that S code coupe. Even if you find a 390 engine, chances are it won't have the Mustang specific equipment nor date codes to match the level of restoration needed for the next guy.
It will be expensive and time consuming to find and collect the correct parts.
Not to mention the time lost towards the dream fastback.

OP
OP

67SCSGT

I say keep it! If it is verified, and legit, you have one "rare" car although....

My dad is selling his 1-of-256 390 4v 4 speed GT car w/ bench seat deluxe interior fastback(s) for 35k :grin:

Nice! I used to have a '68 GT 390 4spd Fastback...pres blue with standard bench seat interior. Probably should have held onto that one!

OP
OP

67SCSGT

I also agree with what Kerry wrote.

Let the next owner fall in love with that S code coupe. Even if you find a 390 engine, chances are it won't have the Mustang specific equipment nor date codes to match the level of restoration needed for the next guy.
It will be expensive and time consuming to find and collect the correct parts.
Not to mention the time lost towards the dream fastback.

So you guys think if I can drop a good running J code 302 in it, clean it up, fix the very very minor rust spot in the floor (all the metal is 100% original) compared to putting a 390 in it it won't hurt the value or resale too much?
I have a bunch of '67 390GT engine parts (pretty complete engine...just disassembled) that I could add into the sale...

I'm in no rush to sell since I know I'll enjoy driving it once I get it back up and running...while hunting for the Fastback...so I can wait for the right buyer to come along for the SCS.
I really want to build a '67 GT FB 4spd, silver frost....and I have a lead on a awesome 428 CJ to drop into it!

CougarCJ

Hard to say.
To me a 1967 S code coupe with a 4 speed and special paint code is unique enough. I'm not sure that adding the Ski package adds a significant value to a project car such as this.

You realize that installing a 1968 302 engine will involve a radiator change, engine frame stand change, and a pretty rare or custom drive shaft. Plus a need to change the throttle bell crank on the firewall.
Is this 302 coupled with a C4? Were you planning on changing out the brake pedal? Do you have all of the automatic shifter parts and electrical? don't forget adding full exhaust.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, just merely pointing out some of the pitfalls (and expenses) to what looks like a simple engine change.

I get asked this type of question all of the time at work. My gut tells me that it will not pencil out. Neither will doing any body work.

My professional advice is to sell the car 'as-is', but include some of the 'correct' parts from your stash as an incentive. Get the deluxe or Elite (if you think it may be 1 of 1) Marti report. Take lots of good pictures of the good, bad, and ugly. Write a paragraph explaining the Ski Country Special package. Emphasize that it is a S code 390-4V with 4 speed, trac loc, special paint code, etc.

I have no idea the current condition of this car. If interior isn't presentable in at least fair condition, strip it out, power wash it inside and out and get busy with the camera. Show the nice original floor pans. Get it up on a lift and show detailed photos of everything bottom side too.

OP
OP

67SCSGT

Hard to say.
To me a 1967 S code coupe with a 4 speed and special paint code is unique enough. I'm not sure that adding the Ski package adds a significant value to a project car such as this.......

Hi CougarCJ,

Let me add some more details.
When I got the car it had a 289 4bbl in with what I think is the original 4spd toploader. I'm pretty sure it still had the original Ford 390 radiator in it.
I thought I could get the 289 running. The seller told me it maybe had a hard gasket leak. Well...the car sat for 5 years when the seller was in Iraq. The 289 did crank and had some compression but 2 of the cylinders were dead...so I pulled the valve covers and the heads were rusted beyond belief!! So the 289 has since been pulled w/the trans still in the car.

It is a 4spd car from the factory...so not sure why you mention automatic stuff. I have assumed if I put the 302 in it I could drop it in pretty easily.

The interior is factory correct minus an aftermarket radio. It is on a scale of 1-10...I'd say a 6-7. There is some stitching that has come loose in the seats but that should be an easy fix for an interior guy. I plan to pull the seats and carpet and inspect real good and fix the small floor spot of rust...then out new carpet in it. Still has the 6K dash tach.

I have the deluxe Marti report proving the SCS and special paint. The current paint is not the correct Vail Blue...and is pretty tired...but I plan to detail it big time and get it looking the best it can. I'm pretty sure I posted a pic and the Marti report in a previous post.
I'd bet it is a 1 of 1 car.

CougarCJ

You didn't say, so I went with the odds that it was an automatic.
An original 1967 390 4 speed transmission should have a code of RUG-M on the tag.

They typically also have the VIN stamped on them too.

OP
OP

67SCSGT

You didn't say, so I went with the odds that it was an automatic.
An original 1967 390 4 speed transmission should have a code of RUG-M on the tag.

They typically also have the VIN stamped on them too.

I'll check on it this weekend.
Oh...also meant to say I'm gonna detail the engine bay...since there is no engine in it right now...good time to do it.

sportyworty

Slam any small block in there and clean her up good. Like Chris says photograph well and wright an honest description as well as a brief tutorial on the SCS. I did not buy this car originally for the reasons you are now trying to figure out. It is a very very cool car but the 390 specific items are very expensive on top of the paint far exceed a current market value. Sell the dream brother as a runner and you may come out ok. A ski car with out the emblems, rack and binders is probably just a rare 67 GT Coupe stick car plus a couple hundred extra bucks.

OP
OP

67SCSGT

Slam any small block in there and clean her up good. Like Chris says photograph well and wright an honest description as well as a brief tutorial on the SCS. I did not buy this car originally for the reasons you are now trying to figure out. It is a very very cool car but the 390 specific items are very expensive on top of the paint far exceed a current market value. Sell the dream brother as a runner and you may come out ok. A ski car with out the emblems, rack and binders is probably just a rare 67 GT Coupe stick car plus a couple hundred extra bucks.

I have all the correct 390GT engine stuff. I actually just in the last hour came in contact with a guy near me who says he can build the 390GT for me for $300 plus any machining he does and parts. Gonna talk to him tomorrow on the phone.

I know a guy who has the badges...I only need one I think...just waiting for him to respond to my recent email. Finding a ski rack shouldn't be too hard but I really don't think having one or not is gonna change if someone wants to buy it or not...I think having the badge would be cool tho.

I don't know...I may be wrong...but whenever I've looked into FE cars...if they didn't have the FE under the hood...it kinda took away from some of the cool factor as a buyer. Yes....this SCS didn't have the FE in it...but I planned to hold onto this car...until I started thinking about it more recently. Heck...if an extra 8-10K falls into my lap in the next month (which is could) I may just keep the SCS and paint it back to factory color.
Decisions decisions haha!

Have a great weekend everyone.

sportyworty

So long as you are having fun and your family has food on the table you are entitled to change your mind, vacillate, or sit on your thumb for the time being. It just makes all feel more sane when others are as into this old junk as much as we are. Press on laddy

OP
OP

67SCSGT

So long as you are having fun and your family has food on the table you are entitled to change your mind, vacillate, or sit on your thumb for the time being. It just makes all feel more sane when others are as into this old junk as much as we are. Press on laddy

Haha...very true.

dalorzo_f

Just finishing a '68 S GT coupe... not as desireable as a fastback or convertible but still a fairly low numbers car, not sure about '67 but in '68 just a tad over 800 S GT 4 speeds were made... so worth restoring.

sportyworty

depends on your definition of "worth" certainly not from an investment stand. It costs 40-75K plus to perform a correct restoration. Now "worth" it to you as a keeper or sense of accomplishment etc I can understand. That SCS and your 68 restored to a pretty high level like division 2 would likely tap out in the current US market in the high 20's.

OP
OP

67SCSGT

Just finishing a '68 S GT coupe... not as desireable as a fastback or convertible but still a fairly low numbers car, not sure about '67 but in '68 just a tad over 800 S GT 4 speeds were made... so worth restoring.

My first Stang was a pres blue on black '68 GT S code auto.
Drop me a PM with your email and I'll send you a pic. Would love to see a pic of the one you're finishing up.

sportyworty

pres blue is a rare color for 68 as is royal maroon. We have very few of each registered for 68.5 cars. The rarest 68 color aside from special paint codes is pebble beige.

OP
OP

67SCSGT

pres blue is a rare color for 68 as is royal maroon. We have very few of each registered for 68.5 cars. The rarest 68 color aside from special paint codes is pebble beige.

Yep...still kicking myself for passing up 10 years ago that '68.5 pres blue CJ 4spd!! That car will always haunt me! lol