• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Side striping

Brian

Before painting my GTCS complete , I am trying to verify correct side stripe and side scoop lettering locations . If someone could refer me to a exelent quality replacement stripe kit purchase location also I would be very grateful , thanx .

Talan423

i bought mine from national parts depot (NPD) and i am very happy with them.

taylorHCS

Banned
There is a guy on ebay that sells these for both HCS and GT/CS that I bought mine from. His seller name is rareshelbyparts. He sells them outright for $55( a lot cheaper than anywhere else). They are very accurate reproductions, And I can't tell a difference between mine and the old ones I pulled off to save(incase i had to take them to a decal shop). Mine are HCS decal stripes though, not GT/CS, but both are the same besides the side scoop decal. He also includes a booklet with measurements and instructions on how to exactly install the stripes. I'm very happy with them.

Mr. Shelby Guy

Tony Branda is who Paul Newitt suggested with me. These are great stripes, can't tell the difference.

murf104

???How does one tell what color the side stripes should be? The car in question is lime gold (or lime green to some (Ford # 2041-A on Marti report) ). Interior is Ivy Gold Decor Bucket Seat . No mention of stripe color on Marti report so how do you determine what color stripes to put on car after repaint. This vehicle has been repainted a couple of times at least and no evidence exists of original stripes. Thanks for any light you may shed on this. John Murphy

Russ

I would check the inside of the door where the side stripe is wrapped around the end of the door. Most body shops do not sand off this portion fo the the door jam, and I have found original tape in this area on both my CS's. I have a lime gold car with black interior, and the stripe is black. Hope this helps,

Russ

rvrtrash

Write to Ford Customer Service Division at 16800 Executive Plaza Drive, P.O. Box 6248, Dearborn, Mich. 48126, give them your VIN#, and ask for a report on the original specifications and optional equipment on your car. It's free and they'll tell you when it was built, what came on it and the color of the stripe. Mine is Wimbleton white with a red stripe.
Steve ;)

Talan423

My CAC report from dearborn doesn't tell what color my original stripe was. My Marti report doesn't have it either. anybody else?????

68sunlitgold

Neither CAC or Marti report will tell you the color. The typical stripe color matched the interior color, but not always. As far as I can tell, there is nothing printed that states what the color is suppose to be. Like Russ stated, you can look at the door jam (I too found my stripes still there) or look behind the scoop or ends of the fenders.
Doug

rvrtrash

Not intending to be a pain or anything, but the report I received from Ford clearly states "Red Paint Stripe". Maybe I just got lucky or someone was in a good mood. Steve

rjw

Steve,
Could that have been a pinstripe that would have run along the top edge of the car?
Richard

rvrtrash

I suppose anything is possible but I've only seen the side stripes or two hood stripes on CS's so I just figured they meant the side stripes as that would have been standard CS equipment. Anyone have a picture of a car with a pinstripe and a further opinion? I'm still putting the car back together (painting the engine compartment as soon as I'm done here) and if that's what it should have, I'd like to put it back on when I have it painted.
Steve

68sunlitgold

Steve,
That's great to hear that your CAC info on it....mine did not. As Rich said it could be the pin stripe, a new quesiton would be if you could get the pin stripe with the CS option....I would imagine you could but then why? It would be a good assumption that, even if it is a pin stripe, that if it is red then the CS stripe would also be red.
Doug

murf104

Any more thoughts on this? Does this mean that there was no definite process that side stripes colors were applied? There must be some pattern or rule that determines if a light green car gets a white stripe or a black stripe. We need an expert to join this discussion and lay out the facts.

BrandonB

Just do it the way it looks the best to you, forget what judges think as long as shes good lookin in your eyes forget everyone elses opinions (unless they are good!).
Just my loose change. If you can find out the orig color thats always a plus and if that is what ya want...sounds like trying to find it might be a tuffy. Either way best of luck to ya I hope you get it settled out! ;D

bindiman99

does anyone know if the hood stripes only came in black or were they also offered in other colors such as white.

66joej

According to Mustang Recognition Guide the hood stripes came in semi gloss black only.

hicountrybob

OK, guys, in bringing this topic to a closure, let me say that my first '68 hcs (before we had Kevin Marti), was a red exterior/interior car with WHITE side stripe(tape) and had what some refer to as 'pin' stripes. My window sticker that the lady seller gave me with the car listed a 'Accent stripe". It was white in color and was painted on and cost the buyer $13.90. The color was not listed on the sticker. Now, to me, it only makes sense that if you have a green car with black interior and black vinyl top that a black stripe should go with it. Now take a red car with red interior, white stripe is fine, but not if you had the $19.48 option of (Paint,two-tone - Low-gloss Black) NOR if you had the 428 engine option which included ram air and 'WIDE BLACK CENTER PAINT STRIPE EXTENDING FROM bla bla. In these "black" situations it seems to be what we see at the Mustang shows on the really correct looking cars. Another thing, I don't know as to whether one could special order paint and/or tape colors because I, for one, have never seen a special order number on a vin tag on a '68 HCS. Has anyone seen a 6 digit DSO on a Cal. Spec? Thanks for the space here, and I sure enjoy and learn from it. Bob TEETS