• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 side mirror question

robert campbell

So I have another question. I have the Marti "elite" report for our GT/CS. Would a remote operating side mirror be identified in the option list? My car has one and it is faithful to every option listed on the report. Except the "California Special" option as mentioned before. That is another story. The elite report does not mention a remote mirror.

It still had its original door panels on it which I just replace a year ago. The hole for the mirror operating control is a factory cut. I believe the door panel and the hole are original. I belive it cam this way from the factory. But as Casey has mentioned, the dealers got involved in options...

Now more fun. Our car is a very early (January 2nd) build. The mirror is a 1967 mirror. Has the tapered control knob vice the ball. Identical to our 67 Fastback. Of note now I am curious about our Fasback which has 1969 sport mirrors on it. Wonder if in 1969 they went back to the tapered stalk?

Boy I love this stuff.....

Rob

Mosesatm

So I have another question. I have the Marti "elite" report for our GT/CS. Would a remote operating side mirror be identified in the option list? My car has one and it is faithful to every option listed on the report. Except the "California Special" option as mentioned before. That is another story. The elite report does not mention a remote mirror.

It still had its original door panels on it which I just replace a year ago. The hole for the mirror operating control is a factory cut. I believe the door panel and the hole are original. I belive it cam this way from the factory. But as Casey has mentioned, the dealers got involved in options...

Now more fun. Our car is a very early (January 2nd) build. The mirror is a 1967 mirror. Has the tapered control knob vice the ball. Identical to our 67 Fastback. Of note now I am curious about our Fasback which has 1969 sport mirrors on it. Wonder if in 1969 they went back to the tapered stalk?

Rob

My Marti lists, "Remote Control Left Hand Mirror" as one of the options.

robert campbell

Arlie,
Somehow I suspected it should be listed..... More digging for Rob. May be a dealer add or who knows what!

Rob

Ruppstang

Rob

All our cars that have operating mirrors had it listed as optional on the Marti report. 68 production started in September, so I don't think a 67 style would have been used in January. Most orignal door panels were stamped for the remote and vinyl was not cut. This aided the dealers that added the mirror. I have never seen a Marti report or window sticker that listed the optional RH mirror. All the 69 knobs I have seen had the ball. I don't know what to make of your tapered one. Marty MCA38812

robert campbell

Marty,
Crap, you are correct. Went down to the 67 and it is a ball style one for its 69 mirror. One on my GT/CS must be some kind of an add. Dealer or owner. It is a 67 mirror.

Rob

J_Speegle

Jeff - the question that I have, were passenger mirrors available and is general use on 68 Mustangs? I don’t recall seeing a lot of them. I guess that it could have been a dealer option. Do you recall seeing a Marti report with them? BTW I have the square remote.

Doug

Yes they were available and in "general" use though not very popular.

Since these were dealer installed items that are rarely listed on Marti reports but very rare since most of the time (if added) it was an after thought rather than something included on the original order (the difference between being on a report or not)

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Here is a shot of the mirror from the original post...

Attachments

• IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 32

Ruppstang

Looks good on the car. If you are not going concours I would keep them. You can all ways change back. Marty MCA38812