• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Shelby and GT/CS

cnassif

I've often wondered how we fit into the Shelby club. The recent post on the end to the Shelby / SAAC legal battles has brought it to mind again. So I ask you, the members of California Special.com this question: Is the GT/CS really a Shelby?

I often see Shelby-inspired and based on Little Red but the real question is does Shelby or SAAC recognize it as a Shelby? You are the authorities, please educate me.

Midnight Special

...Others here will go into much greater detail Christian, but the GT/CS is not a Shelby, nor should it be regarded as one. GT/CS (and HCS) is only an option package randomly produced alongside standard '68 coupes with all the same (other) available options.

Shelby's as you know are far more specialized and thus have their own VIN# where the GT/CS does not.

"Shelby inspired" is about as far as it can go...

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

Thanks for your question....

OK--here is the short version of the Shelby connection to the 1968 GT/CS.

1.Carroll Shelby did not have a direct hand in the development of the GT/CS. This is confirmed by my interview Lee S. Grey, who was the L.A. Dist. Sales Manager for the Los Angeles area for Ford. BTW--that same sales district oversaw Shelby at LAX.

2.It was a Ford Mustang project, assigned to, and under "Shelby Automotive", a part of Ford, like SVT is today. S-A was in Ionia Michigan, moved from LAX in late 1967.

3. The SAAC club honors and respects the heritage of the GT/CS, through the Shelby Automotive connection. S-A also built the 1968 and 1969 (70) Shelbys, and were involved with the XR-7G Cougars. The legal battles between Shelby Licensing and SAAC have no affect on the GT/CS Registry, nor it's heritage, etc.. (see http://saacforum.com/ for details on that situation)

4. The 1968 GT/CS is NOT a Shelby-it's a Mustang, but it's recognized by SAAC as part of the Shelby Heritage, through it's development by Shelby American. Essentially, we're like cousins to Shelby. For the 1996 SAAC Registry, they asked me to include a two page history for that publication, and the same information (with updates) will be included in their upcoming SAAC Registry for the Shelby Mustangs (release unknown at this time).

As a side note, in my phone conversation a couple months back with Team Shelby, the GT/CS is not deemed "a Shelby", so membership was denied to us for that (their) reason (early and late model). That is why I'm seeking SVTOA memberships & a special chapter for the late model GT/CS owners. ALL GT/CS members are welcome to join SAAC.

I hope that this answers your question....as it's a good one.

Thanks!
Paul N.

Last edited:

GTCS07

You can join Team Shelby or SAAC regardless of what you own but it isn't as much fun if you don't. The new GT/CS shares bumper covers, side scoops and wheels with the Shelby GT but that doesn't count for much either.