• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Selling (Reluctantly) 1968 HCS

CalPaul

Yep, still shut down. Says because of volume. Nice if true that so many people interested!............

68gt390

[quote author=hicountrybob link=board=3;threadid=2314;start=0#msg16011 date=1130469376]
This site is SHUT DOWN!!!! What gives????????? hc BOB here
[/quote]

Site is now up and running. Engine area looks a little rough and has some rust on the rear quarter wheel area. Bob; Says you once owned the car? Also states he is unable to start the car, it sits on 4 flats and has been stored since 1991. Asking price is $15,000.00. For a car that doesn't run seems a little steep.

Don ???

Mosesatm

Sorry about this Termin8r but I must agree with Don. These cars just aren't demanding that kind of money in the shape this car is in. We all agree they should but they don't.

An exact duplicate of this car was purchased a month ago, by a board member, for under $15,000 and it is in real nice, drive-it-home shape. Heck, I'll be happy to sell my aqua GT/CS right now for $15,000 and it runs well, has factory air, and a brand new interior!

I'm guessing your car is in the $10K range in the current market. Maybe less since it doesn't run and has body rust issues.

OP
OP
D

da_termn8r

Agree with the thought that the price may be on the high side - which I have to balance against why I want to sell it. Would love to keep it, and won't just let it go if the market is that low. To be honest with you, I can't understand seeing how other early Mustangs get premium prices and these rare, beautiful, and "special" ones don't. I wouldn't trade this car for two fully restored convertibles! ;D

As for the tires and not running, well, the tires are nothing special and could be replaced with similar cheapies, cheap, but thought whoever would want it would like to replace them with the real things (what did these have, redlines?). The only time I tried to start it after storing was about five years after originally stored, by attaching jumpers to the old battery. It didn't turn over, and I'm glad it didn't, as there was probably no engine lubrication. My understanding for long stores is to remove the spark plugs and squirt a small amount of oil into each cylinder, and then hand turn the crank without any spark to free the engine (after changing the oil, of course!), putting it all back together and then trying. Since it hasn't leaked and was running, I would think this would revive it without too much difficulty. I suppose you never know until you try, though, and I don't want to get it in running condition if it is just going to sit again.

Love y'alls' passion for these things :D

390cs68rcode

if your car was not a HCS I would say it is worth 5-6k tops. At 10k you ARE getting a premium (if you can find someone that will pay 10k for it). why not get it running and put a set of cheapie tires on it?

68MustangHCS

I don't agree with some of the comments here.

Come on let the guy sell his car. It really bugs me to hear someone complain that the price is way too high because someone didn't get the car started, or put fresh tires on it....whattt???

HELLO out there! Regardless if there is no market for this car, your wrong, FORD ONLY BUILT 251 of these! This guy trying to get 15K for a car that is 16 times rarer than a California Special...... do the Math 16 x 251 = 4016...pretty close to the amount of GT/CS cars made. You can subtract the 251 HCS's produced and say it's 15 times rarer.

If I had 15k to spare, I'd be inline for this car, especially because, production wise the 68 HCS is rarer than the 68 Shelby Cobra.

Come on guys lets give this guy a break and realize how special his car is! Not pick it apart. 3k - 5K in upgrades could make this a near perfect car. I'd rather have 20k in a HCS than a GT/CS any day.

Sorry members we have to hear this garbage on our forum.

Steve

P.S. There is a member trying to sell a GT/CS for 24K ...So I ask you, what is wrong with ask 15K for a car that is 15 times rarer? Good Question!?! ???

390cs68rcode

Steve

I completely understand your point of view on rarity. Sometimes rarity does not equal desirable and valuable. In this case it MIGHT.

what it all comes down to is what someone is willing to pay for (any) car. Once money not words changes hands for this car then we will know what someone paid for the car.

BTW my opinion above is just my OPINION and not fact. I could be wrong, cause I sure have been wrong before.

:)

Mustanglvr

I thought most of you guys were being pretty harsh on that guy too. I think one point to remember though, is that they produced High Country Specials for 3 years in a row and the California Special for only 1 year.

Mosesatm

I must agree with Jason on this one.

Rarity does not always equate to high prices. To most of the world a 68 High Country Special with 4 flat tires and a stuck motor is just an old Mustang with 4 flat tires and a stuck motor. There are a handful of us, like the posters on this site, who know better but I don't see anyone climbing all over themselves to buy the car at $15,000.

Until the general public, or at least the Mustang community, learns about these cars and appreciates them rare will not equal valuable. The recent High Air Special auction on eBay is a great example of the general ignorance people have about High Country Specials. To paraphrase: "...it was built to be able to run in Colorado's thin air..." Give me a break!

Shelbys are valuable for two reasons. The first being that they are supposedly fast and powerful, but the other reason is that EVERYBODY knows what a Shelby is and they know that they are supposed to want one. Are cars are not there yet but we can keep working on it.

Why does everyone think we are being so hard on the seller? Because of the value we are placing on his car?

rvrtrash

[quote author=da_termn8r link=board=3;threadid=2314;start=0#msg16040 date=1130526564]

My understanding for long stores is to remove the spark plugs and squirt a small amount of oil into each cylinder, and then hand turn the crank without any spark to free the engine (after changing the oil, of course!)
[/quote]

You missed a couple steps. If you remove your distributor (after carefully marking it's location) and use an old distributor with the drive gear removed, or a special tool made for the job, and pump oil through the block, then remove the valve covers and put a little oil on the rockers, you won't be turning the engine over with dry bearings. I know it's a pain but it's worth it not to wipe out a bearing.
Steve