• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rust Colored Plugs Valves Pistons

@Holmes

What the heck does this mean? Gasket seal was clean. MMT?

Attachments

• HPIM1064A.jpg
    HPIM1064A.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 43
  • HPIM1059A.jpg
    HPIM1059A.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 38

franklinair

Were you having some sort of problem? I don't see anything burned, warped or crispy. Valves/valve chambers get hot as hell, discoloring steel components. Remember, there are a LOT of high temp explosions occurring every ignition cycle.

Neil

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

All gas was bought at HEB. No noticible problems. Just never seen this color before. I think HEB is spiking there gas with mmt.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Has this engine been sitting a while or driven often? Looks like condensation rust from an engine sitting for a long period in humid climate.

But if it's driven a lot then there goes that theory!

Midnight Special

...Why did you pull it down? If it has been running - what symptoms made you pull the heads?

I'm working on a bizzare performance issue w/ a 390 where the heads are off and being inspected... Long set of circumstances that I will report on after we find the solution, but I'm curious about yours...

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Ok last time I ran motor was May 10, 2008. Pretty dry here humidity is very low. I had posted the results of my 1/4 mile times in Late April before I put on the ported OEM intake, heads, and exhaust for purposes of comparison. However, I never got around to installing them. I Just tore it down the other day to put on ported parts. I have torn down alot of Ford 289 302s but I have never seen this kind of residue. It looks like MMT (Magnisem Something something) residue that is used as an octaine booster/fuel additive - outlawed in Ca. Would not surprise me to learn that HEB has been spiking there gas with it.

robert campbell

This looks like many a motor that I have taken apart with some miles on them. Not to worry. Where did the deckheigth question come from. Not normally a huge worry on a stock motor. However you measure it, as long as they are not above the deck you should be ok. Deckheigth comes in when building stroker motors and motors with giant cams that bring the valves close to the pistons. Certainly a measurment of concern, but I doubt with a stock moter you have any problems.

Are you rebuilding this motor, or concerned because of the rust color??

Rob

OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

I was just swapping out the heads, intake and exhasut manifolds. The color was my concern. But while I had the heads off I decided to measure the deck hight. Concerned because I thought factory was .008.

robert campbell

Heading off to the lake. Acording to HP books "how to rebuild you small-block Ford the deck heigth for a 302 is.

1968 to 1972 0.016
1973 to 1976 0.034

All 289's are 0.016

The bad thing is sometimes blocks are "decked" enough to bring the figure to zero. Not good. Not sure if your engine is original or newer??? You can purchase thinner head gaskets if you think you have to much clearance to bring the compression back.

Rob

bring the figure to xero.

Mosesatm

Heading off to the lake. Acording to HP books "how to rebuild you small-block Ford the deck heigth for a 302 is.

1968 to 1972 0.016
1973 to 1976 0.034

All 289's are 0.016

The bad thing is sometimes blocks are "decked" enough to bring the figure to zero. Not good. Not sure if your engine is original or newer??? You can purchase thinner head gaskets if you think you have to much clearance to bring the compression back.

Rob

bring the figure to xero.

Are you guys talking about deck height or deck clearance?

Mosesatm

I think that term can mean different things to different people. I always thought the deck height on a Windsor engine was around 8".

Attachments

• compress_image002.gif
    compress_image002.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
@Holmes

@Holmes

Deck height is 8.206. Deck height Clearance is .024. We are talking about deck height clearance but are lazyly trfering to it as deck height. Sorry