• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Running on Empty...

HappyHour

On my roadtrip up from SoCal I realized that my CalSpecial doesnt fill the tank all the way! It only goes to 3/4 full! I was gonna check Donna's claim it only takes 2 tanks...alas it took me like 4 fillups.

Originally I thought it was the gas station pump but by attempting to top it off resulted in a lil spillage.

So after thinking about it I was putting $40-44 or 11 gallons each time so Im thinking my gauge is reading wrong as it should be more like 15-16 gallons fillup.

Last edited:

nfrntau

When I get a new old car I always take a small (full) gas can with me and find out what the gauge reads when I run out of gas. it's not a good idea to do that with the new fuel injected models though. Some gauges will go down past the E, some don't. In doing this you will find out if the gauge stops before you run out or if it goes a ways below. When you run out pull over to the side and put the gas in. If you can live with a gauge that doesn't quite read correctly, if not, uhhh, never mind.
Just consider it the ravings of a mad man.

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Thanks guys..should have done a search for previous posts. Great information and good to see its "been there done that".

Ill run some tests after this weekends Thunder in the Sky when I can bring the car home empty!! :wink:

Reddog

Depending on the gas station nozzel [wide rubber ring] it can be a slow fill. I've noticed if you fill when your tank is half full , it can become a frustrating experience, on -off. It is a clitch with the S197. Try filling when your tank is at 1/4.

Mustanglvr

I heard that these early Mustang gas tanks are as deadly as the Pinto`s were, is this right?

rvrtrash

I heard that these early Mustang gas tanks are as deadly as the Pinto`s were, is this right?

The gas tanks aren't deadly (they're inanimate objects) but having some idiot on a cell phone slam into you at 60 can be. If that's a concern, you should consider a fuel cell.

Steve

franklinair

There are two methods of protecting against rear end collision causing the fuel tank to rupture & potential fire hazard. One is a heavy steel plate that mounts on top of the fuel tank, bolted in place. Good idea, but kind of pricey. Secondly, there is a thinner gage metal panel that bolts/screws into the trunk behind the rear seat (I have that in mine).
There is no known cure for idiots that don't pay attention, and rear end your car.

Neil