• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Restoration Costs

Gatorbait

So I have restored a number of cars, and done most, sometimes all of the work myself. My CS has been sitting for years waiting for me to get to it, and it seems life just gets busier and busier. I have seriously been thinking that the values are going up enough that it may not be crazy to take it and drop it off at a resto shop and pick it up when it is finished. Has anyone had any experience with having a resto shop do your restoration? If so, where did you get it done, how do you pick a shop so they do it right (I am fairly picky about work quality) what would you do differently, and what does something like that cost? I have a very complete, rust free and highly optioned C-code car.

luisa2552

I'm not the best one to respond to this but I thought I would since no one else has yet (the GT/CS and the BJ auction has created a buzz!) My car is in for a cosmetic restoration, I guess is what you'd call it. I took it to a local shop that has done some work on my 'mom' car. He's always got old mustangs and cameros and such in the shop. In fact when I dropped mine off he was detailing a 68 Shelby. Anyway, we worked a deal that I supply all the parts and he does the work. The paint was about $4,000 and he quoted me about $1,000 for the interior. I've purchased skins and foam, dash pad, all dash pieces, kick panels, etc... I haven't added up my receipts, but it's getting up there. Again, I just want my car to look good. It's not going to be entered in any shows. I'm sure a total ground up resortation at a shop would be considerably more than I'm paying. Oh, as far as the engine goes, that's a whole 'nother story. I'm still trying to get the original 302 from the prior owner and I'll take that in too.

Perkchiro

Gatorbait said:
So I have restored a number of cars, and done most, sometimes all of the work myself. My CS has been sitting for years waiting for me to get to it, and it seems life just gets busier and busier. I have seriously been thinking that the values are going up enough that it may not be crazy to take it and drop it off at a resto shop and pick it up when it is finished. Has anyone had any experience with having a resto shop do your restoration? If so, where did you get it done, how do you pick a shop so they do it right (I am fairly picky about work quality) what would you do differently, and what does something like that cost? I have a very complete, rust free and highly optioned C-code car.

I hesitate to even mention this but here goes. I bought my car for $9500 in 2003 and began the restoration project soon thereafter. I have just totalled my restoration costs and I now have $37,000 invested. Keep in mind that I have done all of the work except for engine machining, sheet metal, body work and paint. I know I'm a little picky and so everything is new or reconditioned on the car. So, keep that in mind when you think about a shop doing all the work. What level of restoration do you want? As Sarah has indicated, even a cosmetic restoration looks like about 5 grand. Hope that helps you make a better decision.
Steve

luisa2552

I've paid 5k just to the shop for paint and installation of all the interior stuff. But I bought all the interior stuff myself probably for another $1,000. Then it goes to the mechanic.......:icon_pani

Perkchiro

luisa2552 said:
I've paid 5k just to the shop for paint and installation of all the interior stuff. But I bought all the interior stuff myself probably for another $1,000. Then it goes to the mechanic.......:icon_pani

You go girl! Looks like you are well into an expensive hobby. Ain't it Cool?!:wink:

OP
OP
G

Gatorbait

It doesn't need to be concourse, but I would like a nice driver quality job. I like to drive my cars. The car has zero rust, except the battery tray.

luisa2552

I am having SO much fun doing this car. My husband calls it my midlife crisis! I was a stay at home mom until I got the GT/CS bug. Now I work part time to pay for the car!:grin: :grin: :grin: It took a while on my pety salary to get the cash together but it was worth the wait! Next I want to learn to do more MYSELF and rely less on a mechanic!

rvrtrash

This doesn't directly address your question, but I paid $5K for my car and then put another $20K into it. $1300 of that was wasted on fiberglass repair that I had done and then had to cut apart and redo myself (taught myself fiberglass repair on this one) because the shop did such a miserable job. Approx. $1,500 was engine work that took my 302 above "stock". My resto could have been done therefore for about $17K. If you figure 50% parts and 50% labor as a rule of thumb, you would be in the $30-$34K range to have a shop do everything. You are of course familiar with the acronym "WAG". The trouble will be finding a shop to actually do it, becuase most say they can't make any money doing restorations. Check with local car clubs for leads and look at the work of any leads you might get. You don't want to be a test subject.
http://www.californiaspecial.com/photogallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Steve-Wick&id=DSCF1058
Steve

Perkchiro

You are of course familiar with the acronym "WAG". Okay, enlighten me. What does the "WAG" acronym mean? What A Goof?, Walk Around Grumpy?

rvrtrash

:grin: Well both of those apply to me sometimes but it actually stands for
Wild A** Guess.

Steve

Russ

I think the "question" of restoration cost lies in the "answer" of how much of the restoration do you want to do yourself? If you have some time, some dedication to the project and some skill, the restoration costs can be very reasonable. Also, where you reside can have a major impact on the restoration costs, especially if you have the entire car done by someone else. Labor costs vary greatly in different regions of the country.

I believe the more you do on your own, the greater your satisfaction, AND the car will be done the way you want it done! Excluding the initial price of the car, I know you can restore a CS to concourse condition for around $20,000. That figure includes having someone else do the paint and body work ($4500), the machine work on the engine ($700), rebuilding the transmission ($800) and the purchase of all the new parts you need to make your car like it rolled off the assembly line. Hope this helps,

Russ

OP
OP
G

Gatorbait

I'm very capable, just without time (2 kids under 3yrs and a very demanding job). It might make sense to get it ready for paint and body work, which should not take a huge amount of work, and then punt it to a shop. The last one I had painted at a shop took 6-8 mos. on the take as long as you want, but give me a good deal program. I got a great job, and saved 3k.

Perkchiro

Gatorbait: I noted in your first post on this thread that you had a rust free C code. Are you sure that there is not rust? If the floor pans, rear quarters, inner doors, rockers and frame rails are all rust free and intact, that would make your resto much more simple to approach. If you are picky about the finished product, I would probably approach it in a step by step system. If the engine and tranny are in good working order, I would do an engine and underhood detail. I would then inspect and replace/repair suspension if needed and do an undercarriage detail. I would then consider the paint and body work. After that's finished, replacment of worn weather strips and felts would be advised and then any interior upgrades to follow that.

This would be a shorter and simpler course to follow that what I did (Complete disassembly, media blast, body and paint and reassembly). Good luck with it and if you need advise, there is a great body of knowledge contained within the minds of those who frequent this website.

Steve

OP
OP
G

Gatorbait

I brought the car from California myself, so it lived a dry Southern California life. Absolutely no rust in the quarters, pans, etc. The two exceptions are the panel under the battery tray and a minor spot on the top of the roof where some water was getting under and staying under the front edge of the vinyl top. Both spots are easy fixes.