• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Reasonable Price for a 68' GT/CS

SeaninSD

I recently found a 1968 California Special for sale in Los Angeles. The car is completely restored, based on what the owner said (no pictures), to original and is painted Highland Green with Ivy Gold interior and a custom Gold Vinyl top (not sure if I'm going to like that). It has the original C-Code engine and 3-speed automatic. Hes asking $14,000 for it and says he spent $20,000 on the restoration. Reasonable price? If not, what should I offer?

Thanks, Sean

franklinair

First, have someone knowledgable look at it. In good shape, I'd say that's a GOOD price. I have one similar, and I wouldn't sell it for less than $22K.

Neil

dalorzo_f

Very good price, if as advertised.

If you're keen and it checks out, I wouldn't haggle to much, show up with cash, offer 1k less, if no, "OK here's the 14"... drive away...

"Could" you find a better deal, maybe, but may have to wait a while...

Ruppstang

Check check check! Most deals that are too good to be true usely are. Get a quilified inspection and spend the money on a fast Marti Report.
Good Luck Marty

joedls

If you want a second set of eyes, I may be able to help with an inspection, depending on time. I really can't help with date codes, correct finishes, or any of that, but I'm pretty good at inspecting for condition, previous damage, underlying problems, etc...

OP
OP
S

SeaninSD

If you want a second set of eyes, I may be able to help with an inspection, depending on time. I really can't help with date codes, correct finishes, or any of that, but I'm pretty good at inspecting for condition, previous damage, underlying problems, etc...

My dad is actually the one who will be looking at the car on Friday but he doesn't know very much about California Special's. He will mostly be able to evaluate it on condition and how it runs ect. If you have the time to look at the car, that would be great. I don't think he is planning on purchasing it tomorrow but the owner works in Las Vegas and is making a trip down here to show it. Here's a link to the ad if you want to check it out:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/2853579198.html

joedls

My dad is actually the one who will be looking at the car on Friday but he doesn't know very much about California Special's. He will mostly be able to evaluate it on condition and how it runs ect. If you have the time to look at the car, that would be great. I don't think he is planning on purchasing it tomorrow but the owner works in Las Vegas and is making a trip down here to show it. Here's a link to the ad if you want to check it out:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/2853579198.html

The ad has expired.

04Retro

$22 sounds like it was a steal......
I have $35k budgeted for one...but work/lack of free time require it to be fully restored, original/NOS/HQ restoration parts to original specs (ie no custom mods) and in Northern California

I guess the rule of thumb..the pickier you are the more you gotta expect to pay.