• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rear sag

Bodhi

Can someone elaborate on the fix for rear sag? I saw a post were someone said there car was to high after putting new leaf springs in. What is the factory height?

gt/csj4

If I am remembering correctly, from the factory, didnt all Mustangs sit lower in the ass end? And the front sat higher? I personally like the rear raked look, but all my cars have been of equal height. So no help there haha

If yours is significantly lower in the back (where the tires are inside the the wheel well), perhaps your rear leafs lost the arch on them, this usually happens when height altering shackles are used for long period of times. The higher up they are, the flatter they make the leaf, hence, why they loose the arch. You can actually get them re-arched, or just buy new leafs which will "help" raise the back end.

OR, go crazy and put air shocks in and just fill them up to the desired height, my buddy did that on his Buick Apollo... man it looked terrible, just terrible :rolleyes:

somethingspecial

OR, go crazy and put air shocks in and just fill them up to the desired height, my buddy did that on his Buick Apollo... man it looked terrible, just terrible :rolleyes:

What looked terrible, the look of the air shocks, or the Buick Apollo? LOL

Attachments

• buick apollo.jpg
    buick apollo.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 41

gt/csj4

The apollo haha and he had line locks on that bad boy too! Last I heard he actually has done a lot with iy 383 twin turbo beast and apparently lost the hideous bumpers. Either way just a terrible car haha

franklinair

These cars are notorious for their sagging rear ends. (Never have liked that) I initially addressed that by using air shocks on the rear until I realized they put undue stress on the upper attach points, so I removed them.
I then replaced the rear leaf springs with 5 leaf springs & new shock absorbers. (I also replaced the front coil springs & shocks)
To my eye, the ideal ride heighth & stance is 27" measured at the apex of each fender cutout (all 4). I prefer 14X70X215 tires. You can use 225's but no more due to fender clearances. To me, new springs (standard coil & 5 leaf rears) and new shocks (I like KYB's painted the correct color) give a good ride & handling for normal driving.
Some folks opt for the 'Shelby drop' on the UCA's, and roller bearing coil spring saddles, but I consider these mods superfluous & too expensive considering cost versus benefit.
Here's a couple photos from my last CS's suspension re-do. Came out pretty nice.

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 009 EM.JPG
    Green GTCS 009 EM.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Green GTCS 003.jpg
    Green GTCS 003.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 38

dalorzo_f

Shelby drop costs all of one drill bit and some time!:smile: Roller perches are a lot more than stock, and provide smoother travel, but less dampening, so the ride response relies more on the shocks and springs.

As for rear leafs NPD, and probably others, sell Eaton's to OEM specs, just got two sets and looking forward to installing to see how it affects stance. As noted, nose high was stock, so will drop the fronts to near level...

green56

Rear Sag

I had that on my 68 GT/CS and found out that the rear leaf spring was not in the hole were it should be they had to weld up hole redrill and put two new leaf springs now car sits normal but i had to take it to a place that is all they do is leaf springs and springs at first they could not find problem then one of the old timers look at it and found problem fix looks good Tom

Ruppstang

Here are the Ford ride height specs.

Attachments

• 68 Mustang Suspention Spec 001_crop.jpg
    68 Mustang Suspention Spec 001_crop.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 39