• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rack and Pinion Steering

Maine gt/cs

I am thinking about putting in a power steering rack and pinion. Has anyone on this site done this and what were the results. I know they are a little pricey, but my 15 year old son will have this car one day and want to make it as user friendly as possible. He does not understand how we kept these cars on the road with the way they handled back in the day compared to the cars of today. I told him to try it with manual steering. Whats That he asked. Thanks for any reply's.

Tim

dalorzo_f

Have seem those that liked it and those that did not. Never used it personally. One downside I see regularly is increased turning raduis...

Personally I would not bother. Not hard to drive them as made.

And maybe driving an older car will make him a better driver and provide some apprecitaiton for the reality of 3000lbs of steel at 55 mph, not the moving living room many think cars are.... ;)

AADaddy

Did you look at the Borgeson Box conversion? I just did it in my GTCS and HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! No cutting to done. It all connects into the existing Gearbox location. You get rid of the Slave and Control valve. It also does not leak. The rac increases your turning radius from everything I read. Plus I've heard they leak too. One thing that convinced me the most though was that Global West Suspension told me to do the Borgeson setup instead of a Rack and Pinion. They said I would be much happier with it given the suspension parts I ordered from them. There isn't a ton of info on this site about the Borgeson Box. But if you go to the Vintage Mustang Forum site you will find a lot. Best thing of all it's about $700 from Summit and you can install it in a couple hours if you have the time.

Last edited:

BigJim

I say if you want a car that drives like a new car get a new car. Part of the fun of any old car is the driving experience.

robert campbell

I put a Borgeson on a friends 1966 Fairlane convertible. No more leaky control valve, ram, and hoses. It provides a bit tighter steering than a completely restored original setup. But not as "darty" as a rack and pinion installation that I have drove, in my opinion. I think the rack and pinion conversion is ok and Flaming River and a couple others offer "shortened" racks that have a compatible turning radius to the original now a days.

To me if you are an avid road racer or autocrosser and want to perform numerous modifications for racing purposes, and your wallet is deep, then go to a rack. If you want a nice tight driving experience with an original feel running basic stock suspension components, then get the Borgeson. It cleans up the underside, is dead simple, and gets the hoses out of the way of shorty or long tube headers if your son hops it up in the future. And is way cheaper!

Rob

OP
OP
Maine gt/cs

Maine gt/cs

I have been reading alot about the rack and pinion set up and most people wouldn't bother. The Borgeson from what I understand, won't work with my 4 speed because of the z-bar. I like the way it handles, but was just thinking about the kid down the road. SO the car is going to stay as is. Thanks for all your reply's.

Tim

robert campbell

Scott,
How cool is that!! Can't wait to see the feature!

Tim,
How cool would a 5 speed be in your car. I drove a J code that Arlie put one in and it really worked great! Then you can go cable clutch. Easy and clean conversion.

Or you can get a Quick Time bell housing to improve safety and also use a cable clutch.

I love to spend other peoples money!!

Rob

Last edited:

rvrtrash

I think that Rob is so good at spending other people's money because he practiced so much with his own! :grin:
I always get goose bumps when I see the stacks under the hood of his car.

Steve

OP
OP
Maine gt/cs

Maine gt/cs

The bell housing probably be the cheapest way to go, but that 5 speed idea has crossed my mind already. Rob, the wife say's I don't need anymore help spending money on the CS. You know that look when they have one eyebrow raised, arms folded across the mid section, and foot tapping on the floor. Great ideas though.

Tim