• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Questions to Ask an Auto Painter

Redwingrobb

Afternoon! Well, it has nothing to do with the Mustang, but I've finally decided to get the Barracuda painted. I've found a car painter through a friend of mine and am looking to get the car painted. Since I'm really a novice are there certain things I should ask the painter prior to him doing the job so I don't end up being surprised when I get the car back? Also, I plan on having the car painted the original Frost Blue color for 68. Are there certain paint lines/products that I should go with/stay clear of? Lastly, I have a few spots on the rockers that will require either new sheet metal or will need to be fiberglassed.. Pros, cons? Thanks. Robb

coloradoHCS

I have had good luck with Dupont but lately I prefer PPG mainly because the supplier and tech support is close by.

I would ask them to strip the car to bare metal to see what you really have and relplace bad sections with sheetmetal.

I don't know about your car but old Mopars are getting pricey no matter the engine option so money spent on this project is probably worth it.

I don't know what paint type came as original, GM used laquer and hard to come by these days, but a nice single or two stage modern paint would look better and be more durable than original.
Mark.

rvrtrash

I recommend repairing with metal, not fiberglass, to help keep the rust from coming back. The paint I like using is made by PPG and called DCC Concepts. It's more expensive but is basically a clear coat with color in it. It's a 2 part Urethane and about 3 times as thick as regular paint so 3 coats will look like 9 coats of the older style paints. It's also easy to touch up and buff out, unlike a color coat/clear coat.

Steve

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind...Robb