• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Questions on final restoration process

Sarge

All,

My builder is nearing the end of the restoration for my GT/CS, but he has a couple of questions that I don't know the answers to.

The first is what kind of fasteners are used to connect the grill screen with the bumper trim (see first pic).

The second is how or what is used to keep the fiberglass trunk lid from slamming into the back taillight panel. For the second one, I have the foam tape that goes inside the lip at the corners of the deck, but that doesn't appear to flush up to anything. What keeps the trunk deck from slamming into the lower back panel? He wants to drill holes and put some kind of rubber bumpers there, but I don't recall seeing that anywhere else.

Please advise, and I hope to have this back in my garage by next weekend!!! Woooo Hoooo.

Thanks all,

Robert

Attachments

• DSCN3125.jpg
    DSCN3125.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN3127.jpg
    DSCN3127.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 39

franklinair

Sarge;
Is the trunklid seal installed?
The trunk lock is adjustable upwards/downwards (slotted holes)

Neil

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

I don't recall that mine had the trunk deck seal installed previously, pics of what it looks like? Is there supposed to be trunk deck sealing as well as the small rubber "bumpers" as seen in my second picture above?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mosesatm

No bumpers, the weatherstripping acts as a cushion. Shelbys had bumpers, but not our cars.

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Excellent, thanks Arlie. And I contacted my restorer and he had not yet put on the weatherstripping. Next question? those fasteners for the grill to the trim?

Thanks,

Robert

Mosesatm

I believe this is the correct washer-type thingy, but it may be installed backwards.
It looks to me like the prongs should surround the horizontal grille bars.

Attachments

• Grill Clip.jpg
    Grill Clip.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

azbeneman

This is helpful for me as well. I will be putting my grill back together in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the photos.

Craig

franklinair

Trunk lid seal & trunk lock:
IIRC, I got mine from Tony Branda (Seal for Shelby convertible).
The 3 trunk lock mounting holes are slotted for vertical adjustment.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 34

dalorzo_f

Yes, the rectangular "washer" is backwards and off by 90 degrees. As noted supposed to clip over one of the little boxes in the grille. They often break the grille.

I make as small flat plate out of aluminum, paint to match and put it between the nut and "washer" to spread the load a bit. Not correct, but so subtle few notice...

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Anyone have a part number for the funky rectangular "washer" above? I have looked all thru my books, mustang parts websites, etc. No luck finding anything like that.
Robert

J_Speegle

Anyone have a part number for the funky rectangular "washer" above? I have looked all thru my books, mustang parts websites, etc. No luck finding anything like that.
Robert

Not sure what good the part number will do but try this C7ZZ-8244-A

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

Thanks Arlie,
I went ahead and contacted the company regarding the one they have on hand. I still need to find another one, so if anyone has one available, please let me know.
Robert