• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

putting of 1/4

junkgtcs

i was wondering how hard it would be to put 1/4 on the mustang!! my car got rear-ended and it needs the 1/4s and the tail light panle replaced :( also what would be a good way of going about it!!

OP
OP
J

junkgtcs

Re:putting on 1/4

wow i need to learn to spell sorry the topic was supolsed to be putting on 1/4s

Mosesatm

Wow, now that's what I call ambition!

If you have never done any bodywork and don't have the proper tools I would say it is nearly impossible. You will need an air chisel, spot, mig, tig, or gas welder. hammers, dollies, 80/20 lead (to do it right), grinder, long board sander and paper, and on and on. If you have done at least some bodywork and can beg or borrow the tools it's not too difficult. You just need to be patient, measure twice, cut once, and don't use too much heat. I may be able to walk you through it with the help of some of the other members. If you ever get stuck just send a digital picture of where you are and what the problem is. I didn't see where your home town is but if you are near Houston I'll be glad to help you do it.

That goes for anyone near Houston. I know bodywork and will be glad to help any way I can.....at least until I get my own project started.

OP
OP
J

junkgtcs

thanks for your help i have some but not all thouse tools and being only 16 i dont have many hours of body work under my belt! most of my body work has been on fender of bikes from the 50s. im shur i can find one of my dads friends who can walk me though it. but i want to do most the work cus i wann learn so bad. that what i wanna do for a living!! thats the life doing what you love to do. well if theres eny more help out there on how to do it it is welcome

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1340;start=0#msg7735 date=1106359416]
Wow, now that's what I call ambition!

If you have never done any bodywork and don't have the proper tools I would say it is nearly impossible. You will need an air chisel, spot, mig, tig, or gas welder. hammers, dollies, 80/20 lead (to do it right), grinder, long board sander and paper, and on and on. If you have done at least some bodywork and can beg or borrow the tools it's not too difficult. You just need to be patient, measure twice, cut once, and don't use too much heat. I may be able to walk you through it with the help of some of the other members. If you ever get stuck just send a digital picture of where you are and what the problem is. I didn't see where your home town is but if you are near Houston I'll be glad to help you do it.

That goes for anyone near Houston. I know bodywork and will be glad to help any way I can.....at least until I get my own project started.
[/quote]

I live in Houston as well. Do you go out to the Sam's club paking lot at I-10 and Hwy 6 on Saturdays? Right now I drive my 68 Sunlit Gold coupe there but hopefully next weekend I will have my CS here and will take her down there for show and tell.

What part of Houston do you live in?

PFSlim

Removing and installing rear quarter panels is a very tricky deal. We had our body shop guy do ours.

One question you have to ask yourself. How good do you want it to look? Orignal - pay someone a lot of money. Pretty good - pay someone some money. Just okay - pay someone hardly nothing. Notice the theme, unless you are a body shop guy, pay someone.

The rear quarters have to be cut off. The risk to the new installation is that the body lines do not line up, that so much heat is applied to welding them back on they don't fit, just to name a few.

After they are in place, you may be able to save some money by doing the body work to get it ready for paint. No matter how good of job the body person does, there will still be alot of body filler applied, sanded, etc.

By the way, our body guy glued our rear quarters on. This took away the poss of overheating the panels when welding back on.

Paul