• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Production questions

mbsf1970

I just read that production of the Cs started on Feb 17th.

1) is this correct?
2) the VIN#'s seem to reflect the production number as a regular Mustang of that year. Is there anything to indicate what production number a CS is in relation to its peers? According to my Marti, my Cs was made Feb 20th which would suggest it as amongst the earliest made as it was it was on day 4 of production that it was made....
3) were the Cs' made as reg Mustang then sent somewhere to be modified or were they made in SJ on the Ford line with CS parts straight away?

Oh, I'm sure to have many many more questions but I'll start with these......thanks,
Stephen

dalorzo_f

1. No. Began Jan 18th, 25 cars hand built in Jan. 200 by Feb 14th, 759 by Feb 28. So Feb 20 could be in the first 500-ish...

2. Production numbers give a relative range of build date, but were not necessarily sequential. As the GTCS was a special production run blocks were assigned so some cars will be sequential, but the 4000-ish cars fall from about 1303xx to 1721xx, a far larger span than the 4000 cars... They did not get GTCS #1, #2, etc and that could never really be determined as the VIN's were stamped as needed on the line, not all in a row. As an example S149603 had a scheduled build date of 11C, the next number J149604 was 06D... almost a month later.... there are other examples of drift in dates and numbers well out of sequence with respect to build dates. But many were in blocks and most likely sequential. I do not think the records not time of build to determine specific order, only date.

3. Made on the line, all in San Jose (Milpitas)

Mosesatm

<snip>

3. Made on the line, all in San Jose (Milpitas)

Maybe; maybe not.
We're not sure about all the debut cars. Some of them may have been standard coupes that were converted for the show. The work still work have been done in the San Jose plant, but not necessarily "on the line".

dalorzo_f

Hmmm... in the building, on the line... splitting semantic hairs... they were not (as far as I know) "then sent somewhere to be modified" and were all made in that facility...

If that was the case and they are not considered to be part of "the line" production (however you define that) then would any car pulled out for a QA/QC issue be considered to not be made "on the line" too...??? :undecided

In the context of the question AFAIK they were all made in the San Jose plant by the workers there...