• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Power steering fluid

David r

I am putting the original power steering pump back on my S code 390. Can I use the mercon V transmission fluid if not what should I use ?

dalorzo_f

Originally used Type F transmission fluid.

They are different and as it generally available while the Mercon will "work" IMO best to stick with the Type F.

If you swap be sure the system is completely emptied as to not mix them.

dalorzo_f

From the Motorcraft site:

•Not for use in applications where MERCON® SP, MERCON® LV, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended

Ruppstang

Originally used Type F transmission fluid.

They are different and as it generally available while the Mercon will "work" IMO best to stick with the Type F.

If you swap be sure the system is completely emptied as to not mix them.

+1 my pump restorer will not warrantee his pumps unless type F is used.