• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Poser kinda got to me..

gazrox

I had some old timer tell me "I know my mustangs and that ain't no mustang!"

When the "poser" shows up ask them if you can see their original, correct mustang. They usually takes less than 2 seconds to flee in fear. *&^*& morons! Then you get the "poser" who can't resist leaning on the car and I've seen people just jump in cars uninvited. They seem to be everywhere!

HappyHour

I had some old timer tell me "I know my mustangs and that ain't no mustang!"

Then you get the "poser" who can't resist leaning on the car and I've seen people just jump in cars uninvited. They seem to be everywhere!

I just got templates for Arlie's CS cards detailing info on the CS...there great! Hit him up..

Great handouts so you dont have to get your hands dirty with "posers" (I laugh ever time I say that word) HA! :wink:

And if someone jumped in my car I would lose my sh*t....who does that??

aemoo28

Love to volunteer to be the "clone police" and put stickers on windows of said wannabees if PMN will volunteer to make "NOT 1 of 3118 GT/CS" stickers. Or "NOT 1 of (how many-I forget) GT/CS". Make it look like Paul's sticker, but with the "NOT".

And those people that tell me I'm trying to look like a Shelby with my car. I tell them about my decision between the '07 Shelby-H and the '08 CalSpecial and they shut up.

HappyHour

I tell them about my decision between the '07 Shelby-H and the '08 CalSpecial and they shut up.

Err um hold on...you could have had a Shelby H? Is that the Hertz fleet Shelbys?? Did I miss that story? Lemme get my Lazy boy all nice and comfy and grab a beer(s)...okay do tell. :grin:

P

PNewitt

I once had a Shelby parts dealer in San Diego tell me that the CS was a "wife's car" to a (real) Shelby owner.... ("GGGRRR!")

And I've heard it called a "Shelby Jr.", too.

To put these (unfortunate) stories in perspective you have to remember that these cars DO elicit a response....whether informed, or by ignorance.

Owners of standard (and even GT) '67 and '68 coupes never get this kind of response... They are great Mustangs, but the style, uniqueness and history of the GT/CS has a lot of value in it's uniqueness.

You have to think of these responses as "backhanded compliments". Jealousy is rampant in the car owners' world, and for what it's worth, Ferrari and Porsche and BMW, etc. owners get the same twisted comments. So, you're in good company.

I think the best way to think of these (negative or condescending) responses is as if they're saying "how dare you have a Mustang that gets more attention than my Mustang...er..uh..so...I'll find something wrong with it to knock it down to my level".

I know that when the book is out (soon) that things will change. All you'll have to do from now on is show these doubting Thomas' your copy at a car show, and then tell them that yours is a real one.

Then watch the steam come shootin' out of their ears... LOL!

The moral of the story is to take these (negative) comments as disguised compliments.

Paul N.

aemoo28

Ah, so you are listening...my Cali people...heh heh heh.
May I correct myself- my buddy got a Shelby-H. It's in my head. Correct that to Shelby-350. Sorry 'bout that, Hap.
I'm all mad because I have to take my nursing boards on the day of Roundup when we have the parade to Leavenworth. So scratch me out on that day, if anyone here was planning to do the Pony Trails on July 18th, Thursday, with me. Durn boards.
Now I forget again the subject at hand...I feel like DD...where is she, anyway? DD!!

P

PNewitt

There was a Mustang Show in the Bay Area today, and there were one '68 and three '07's.

One of the black ones belonged to "07-CS", a member here. Great CS, with a new KR ram air type hood.

Today's show illustrates a good point here...about this topic.

There was this very nice gold CS with a white vinyl top and white stripes...an original color combo on a car owned by this very nice older couple--that had owned it for 28 years (and had just done a wonderful job restoring it).

They had never heard of the registry, the books or me. So, I brought some things to show them, like an original brochure, and a copy of my 1989 book. (We talked, we laughed, we stayed out of the sun....)

I told them that when I meet owners of original GT/CSs, I tell them very carefully that I only offer to them what I know and have learned--but that it's up to the owners to do what they wish with that information. It's not my place to hold any value-judgements on them for not 'being correct". If they've had some things on their CS a certain way for 10-28 years...and they like it, then keep it. This is because it's an issue of personalization. This is very important to respect.

They had the correct grille, but it had the '68 horse and corral bolted to it. They'd been to a previous car show, and someone rather rudely told them "you have the wrong grille". Not too cool.

I said, well you DO have the right grille, you just have the horse and corrall on there, and someone misread what you actually had. They like the horse an corral, so it will stay.

If these nice folks had told me that they were wanting to show the car via MCA rules, I would changed gears and told them every little detail....so they could be competitive (and would have given them Mike Jewell's ph. no. for a concours reference, too.)

I tell people that despite all the cumulative information I have on these cars--that I'd rather stand next to their car yakking away while having a hot dog and coke than worry about what color the fender bolts are.

The real bottom line here is that people should have a good time, and enjoy their GT/CS. People may drive these cars 300 days a year, and show them just three times a year...why lose the elements of fun and personalization just because of those three days a year?

I can't emphasize enough that I'm here to assist you with what I know...although you can do whatever you wish with those tips and data that I've compiled over many years.

If you enjoy all the things you've done to your CS...then KEEP them and ENJOY them...

If you want to play hardball with the MCA (or other car show) judges in judged shows, then let's do it. And we'll be very competitive!!!

But--the decision is ultimately your own. It's all about enjoyment and the fun of owning and enjoying your CS. There is NO value judgement on whichever way you choose... (at least not in my mind)....

Paul N.

PFSlim

When I have taken my car to shows, I have heard it all. From, "What have you done to that car?" to "it is not suppose to be that way". I have even heard a guy explain to me how I wasted my money on restoring the car because I choose to make a few "safety" changes to the car during restoration.

Bottom line. I don't care what anyone says about the car. It used to upset me that someone did not like the car or someone would offer big advise about what I should have done to the car. However, not now.

Most folks who say stuff like that are just so unware and have such a closed mind. I finally figured out there is nothing I can do help them and in the end, they are who they are.

Paul

nates68

WELL I GOT THE LAST LAUGH THIS TIME, THIS GUY KEEPS TELLING EVERYONE MY GT/CS IS FAKE ECT. BUT NOT TO MY FACE. WELL I WON PEOPLES CHOICE AND MY CAR IS ON ALL THE SHIRTS, AWARDS,MUGS
LOL EVERY TIME HE LOOKS AT HIS 2ND PLACE AWARD HE SEES MY (FAKE) GT/CS ALTHOUGH ITS NOT FAKE. I JUST LOL EVERYTIME I THINK OF THIS.

WHAT A FUN WAY TO GET EVEN HUH?

NATES68:grin:

rvrtrash

Must be this Karma I keep hearing about. Did you tell him 2nd is the first loser? Or 1st is a real trophy, second is a fake? It's best to be gracious, but fun to think evil thoughts. :icon_evil

Steve

P

PNewitt

For shame....for they know not their affliction...

As a public service, you may print this notice, and offer your assistance (therapy?) to help those poor souls that are not aware (but think they are..)....

(use at your own descretion....) <<??>>

Paul N.

LOL....

Attachments

• therapy.jpg
    therapy.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 54

Mustanger

Some people are sometimes prone to know-it-all-itis syndrome ... we just simply need to smile, nod our heads and say, "uh-huh ..."

P

PNewitt

If you think about it, that's probably why MCA has had a difficult time over the years with the rules-making process (as well as other clubs).

Interpretation of production items, changes, and then dealer options, and then personal modifications and performance parts all add up to a lot of subjective "arguments".

My position is to tell, or at least offer people the information that I know, and then it's up to them to decide what to do with it.

Right behind that thought is that I'm always open to new information and examples of something that would, and can change what might be "conventional wisdom". There are some solid facts on the GT/CS, but it's still a fluid situation in some areas, that I'm not only open to hearing about it, but welcome it.

I think that a little more tact would be appropiate with those who make comments like we've pointed out here. My only conclusion is that some people find the GT/CS so unique, that it's a threat somehow. It's a Shelby stepchild, and that rocks some people's "Mustang Pedigree" boat. I'm just amazed that after all this time, that the CS is still unknown to some, and misunderstood to many others.

Outside of my sarcastic flier, does anyone have ideas on how we should handle flip comments towards our cars at shows? That is, non-confrontive?

Paul N.

Perkchiro

Paul: How about a sign that reads "YES VIRGINIA, THIS REALLY IS A CALIFORNIA SPECIAL". I thought about this after my last cruise in incident. Simple, but it gets the point across.

John McGilvary

I have found that most people who talk down about our Mustangs are the first to ask you how many $$$$ you want for it.

40 years ago I would hear stuff like, " poor mans Shelby ", " dealer made Mustang ", ect., but now days most people know how rare and desirable our CS's are.

So if someone starts to talk trash about my CS, I just smile and say lets have a look at your ride. Still don't like people trying pass off a clone as a real CS.

John