• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Poser kinda got to me..

ahainline

OK.. so this has been eating at me since the MCA show last weekend.

While standing there admiring HCSSTANG's car, we had a gentleman come up and ask questions about the car and was criticizing the 68 GT/CS at the show for not being correct. That other car happened to be MY car. I played along not saying a word as he tore it down for having the wrong color grill and painted black trim on the chrome tail-light bezels etc. Then he proceeded to say that he was building a 68 GT/CS CLONE and was interested in keeping it as authentic as possble... uhh, dude, your building a CLONE!!!

This frustrated me b/c my AUTHENTIC, MARTI VERIFIED, GT/CS was being tore down for not being original enough while this guy is building a clone from a 67 coupe.. wow, if that isnt the pot calling the kettle black. Anyway, I played along until I couldnt take it anymore and informed the guy that the car he was dissing was MY car and just left it at that. It was a pretty interesting moment to say the least. HCSSTANG can vouch for me on that one!

Anyone ever have this happen?

Last edited:

joedls

I once had someone ask me why I chose the wheels I did for my 65 convertible instead of some other wheel that he thought it should have on it. I said, " I don't know. Why did you pick out that ugly ass shirt you put on this morning?". He immediately left.

P

PNewitt

Oh Boy.
Some people.....<<shaking head>>

First of all this guy was trying to ferret out info about these cars by criticising them. How I wish I was there!!! I LOVE to have "discussions' like that...at car shows.

He was also probably jealous at the fact that the GT/CSs there were REAL, and that he had to build a clone, from a '67 no less. He then will have to return to shows like the one you were at, and have to explain that his "is just a clone".... What he doesn't know is that well-informed owners and CS enthusiasts know MORE about their CS, and are well-armed in that knowledge.

It's probably of little consolation, but these cars spark a lot of excitement, and sometimes that excitement manifests itself as criticism from jealousy.

A pretty childish exhibition on his part. Don't let it get to you...after all, you have the REAL thing... Revel in the honor.

Paul N.

P

PNewitt

I once had someone ask me why I chose the wheels I did for my 65 convertible instead of some other wheel that he thought it should have on it. I said, " I don't know. Why did you pick out that ugly ass shirt you put on this morning?". He immediately left.

I laugh every time you tell that story Joe....

LOL!!

Paul.

John McGilvary

Went to a car show and sale here in Utah a few years ago.

There was a yellow GT/CS my friend wanted to buy for his kid,
so he got me to take a look at it before he bid on it.
It had many things wrong with it, and was clearly a clone and the guy swore up and down it was real. It was a very nice looking Mustang but my friend wanted a GT/CS.
I asked the guy about the fog lights and he told me he bought them and other parts from a guy that lives in Alpine and owns a blue GT/CS, 428CJ.
My friend asked him what the guys name was, he said John something.
I said, is it John McGilvary, he said, ya thats it, I talk to him all the time.
As my friend pulled me away he told the guy selling the Mustang who I was.
All I could say is, " WTF".

John

rvrtrash

The sad part is, CS's are still affordable enough, you can probably buy one for close to the same money as it would take to build a respectable clone to a like level, if you include the cost of the base car. Go figure.

Steve

Midnight Special

While standing there admiring HCSSTANG's car, we had a gentleman come up and ask questions about the car and was criticizing the 68 GT/CS at the show for not being correct. That other car happened to be MY car. I played along not saying a word as he tore it down for having the wrong color grill and painted black trim on the chrome tail-light bezels etc. Then he proceeded to say that he was building a 68 GT/CS CLONE and was interested in keeping it as authentic as possble... uhh, dude, your building a CLONE!!!

This frustrated me b/c my AUTHENTIC, MARTI VERIFIED, GT/CS was being tore down for not being original enough while this guy is building a clone from a 67 coupe.. wow, if that isnt the pot calling the kettle black. Anyway, I played along until I couldnt take it anymore and informed the guy that the car he was dissing was MY car and just left it at that. It was a pretty interesting moment to say the least. HCSSTANG for vouch for me on that one!

..If you ever studied martial arts (for example) or achieved anything to a high degree; you'll notice that the accomplished "Black Belts" don't run around town bragging & criticizing because they are secure with themselves and never feel a need to. The mere fact that you would never do that to someone else speaks volumes of your integrity and ability to admire and encourage; regardless of what that person is driving.

In essence, your polite silence speaks a much louder truth.

Talk is cheap and "spouting stupid" is easy. I find that engaging most people like that is a colossal waste of time. Simply take heart and enjoy the day! 'Hard as it can be sometimes, a loose canon as this shouldn't "cloud" your memories of a great day! :)

case12

So HCSStang won Gold and Tony won 1st place - the judges have spoken. You had the last word - you're the winners!

For this guy that bugged you - who cares - educate those that want to be educated or otherwise enjoy him as a person, but know he is clearly not an expert. The real place to get the right advice is right her amongst your friends and family. We want to help build each other up, and not tear down.

(Now if the guy had been an MCA judge we might be getting on the phone right now to Wally :)

Casey

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

The sad thing is that this guy actually did get an award. And for what... you guessed it, another one of his POSER cars. A coupe with a chopped roof to make it a convertible. He even complained b/c at the last show he was at the judges ran his VIN and found out it was a coupe, not a convertible, and deducted points lol.

Oh well, in the end I am having the last laugh :)

Midnight Special

...There is a guy around here with a (Dearborn VIN) CS clone who insists it's real and sometimes wins. As much as I hate to admit it - I took my restomod clone to a show here along with 3 real CSs and a CJ Mach... The damn clone won! ...and it was announced as a GT/CS! My wife & I were in the nearby chinese restaurant during the award ceremony & learned after the fact... Sometimes, there aint no justice - but we sure have alot of fun! :)

66hcs-conv

Sometimes I can't believe what goes on at car shows - we have a nice Columbine Blue 66 HCS. I have had guys argue with me that the color is not correct, in spite of me showing 1966 newspaper ads showing the HCS colors,
AND the original invoice stating the car is Columbine Blue.

We also have a 1948 street/resto rod (it's for sale!). Folks question me why did I do this & whay did I do that? I try to be polite & tell them 'cause that is the way I wanted to build it, that is the "look" I wanted, & it's my car.

people - go figure!

Have fun, Dave

390cs68rcode

This frustrated me b/c my AUTHENTIC, MARTI VERIFIED, GT/CS was being tore down for not being original enough while this guy is building a clone from a 67 coupe.. wow, if that isnt the pot calling the kettle black. Anyway, I played along until I couldnt take it anymore and informed the guy that the car he was dissing was MY car and just left it at that. It was a pretty interesting moment to say the least. HCSSTANG can vouch for me on that one!

If this happened to me forget integrity, morals and whatnot.....I would have told him he was full of it and where he could go. I would have added quite a few 4 letter words as well in the conversation. I don't let people pull any kind of BS on me and I am not afarid to tell them off and where they can stick it. Know-it-alls who don't "get it" (know-it-alls that want to HELP are another thing) need to be put in their place.

:grin:

robert campbell

When a friend of mine and I formed the Kitsap Mustang Club in the early 80's he had a close friend I will call "Bob" join the club early on. Bob was a great guy and a new guy to the Mustang hobby. He dove into originality with relish. He had some knowledge and mostly it was in the GT equipment group and the early year to year recognition. He owned a 67 GT coupe and it was a very nice original car. But after a couple years he turned into a monster and started a nasty habit.

He loved to go to car shows armed with the knowledge he had obtained and “pick” at peoples cars. Even when he knew he was talking to the owner. He felt he was the all knowing God of the hobby. For heavens sake he would point out non-stock headlights to owners!! After awhile I would not associate with him at car shows. Bob was that bad.

I took Bob aside one time and pointed out that his knowledge was only as good as what he read or heard. To be so absolute with people was stupid. For Gods sake that owner may be the original owner and what he was picking at may have been exactly as it was delivered. These cars were assembled by humans not machines and “stuff” happens. One thing that comes to mind was the MCA ruling on 65 GT fog lights saying clear only was the standard. After a few years they rescinded and allowed amber lenses. Notice how I said GT fog light for 65, as they were part of the GT equipment group (to the best of my knowledge). Each year thereafter items dropped from the GT group until in disappeared. How about the very rare 69 GT Fastback! With a GT pop open gas cap. That fooled a lot of people early on. All of the minor differences that Paul has identified should give anyone pause on the GT/CS!!!

All said this “poser” is an idiot. Not worth your time of day, but sometimes fun to torture. But this Bob was just a big an idiot!! I was embarrassed to be with him.

As all of us realize it is best to take the high road and say nothing unless asked. If asked I try to use the words to the best of my knowledge or from what I have read….. Nothing is absolute.

Rob

Doug

As I read this tread it reminds me something that I heard many years ago – “the person who has to show people up with what he knows or thinks he knows is most likely a very lonely person”. I personally have found it best to listen and ignore.

franklinair

Whenever I run into one of the pseudo know-it alls, I just let them amble on, all the while chuckling to myself inside, knowing they don't realize what an ass they're making of themselves. Take' em with a grain of salt - not worth worrying about.
I never expect to see the day I have all the answers. But I DO know where to find them. That's part of the beauty of our site. SOMEONE has the correct answer.

Neil

nates68

I ALSO HAD THIS HAPPEN AT A MCA SHOW,THIS GUY SAID HE HELPED WRITE THE FIRST BOOK WITH PAUL. TOLD EVERYBODY MY HOLES IN THE HOOD WERE WRONG FOR MY LOCKS, MADE A BIG DEAL OUT OF IT,WELL GUESS WHO TOOK 2ND PLACE IN CONCOUR..... HIS GT/CS WAS A 289 WITH
GT HUB CAPS, WRONG HOLES IN HIS HOOD. (AS TOLD BY 2 JUDGES) BY THE WAY I TOOK THE 2ND PLACE HE GOT PI---- OFF AND DROVE OFF. ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE ONE AT A SHOW. :grin:

NATES68

dly

I was at the MCA Ohio Show and saw the beautiful cars that you guys have. I had the Black 07 GT/CS at the very end row. I got a 2nd place in the particicaption vote. I taked to several of you and it was nice to meet you'll.
I took lots of photos of your cars and enjoy looking at them.

dly

Perkchiro

I got my car out this past week-end for a local "cruise in". I had a lot of interesting comments and compliments. One guy was really excited to see it and told me he had read about California Specials but he'd never seen one. At the other end of the spectrum, another guy walked around the back of my car and I could hear him tell his wife, " he just put all the stuff on the back of the car, it's not original". The guy walked away before I could correct him. The more I thought about it, the madder I got. These supposed "car experts" really torque me. I guess they're everywhere. Oh well, it was all positive otherwise.