• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Photo Your Winter Fun

calspcl

I like them both Rob!
To be 18 again would probably kill me! But, I do like the lake cruiser-right up my ally....

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The DS 100 is a lot easier to keep under control than the Kawi!! Although the Kawi is a lot easier to ride than I thought! You just need to respect the right handlebar grip!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Some more projects through Triple B's Muscle Car Clinic.

1969 Pontiac Firebird 400. New motor stuck choke and basic tuning. Came in blubbering all over the place. She runs great now!!

1970 Mustang 302 auto. This is one of the most untouched cars I have worked on in a long time. Very bad flat spot on acceleration. Ruptured vacuum advance diaphragm. Basic tuning and more initial advance. Adjustable vacuum advance installed. Way better now, but may see it again. Still has a slight pause on acceleration. May go after the power valve and richen the acceleration pump a skosh.

1969 Bug. Good friend tore it apart about 5 years ago. New brakes, gas tank, electronic ignition. Got her running and she purrs like a kitten also. I had a 67 back in the day and kinda liked it. Fun to drive around town. Not so much on the high way.

More later.... 65 Vette.... 76 Cheby truck...

Rob

franklinair

Deja-vu:
I've always liked the '69 Firebirds.
I used to have a '69 Mustang Grande'.
I drove a '64 Bug (R/H drive) when I lived/worked in Africa.
Thanks for the memories.:smile:

Neil

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Rob sold the Kawasaki and the little Suzuki dirt bike is for sale. check out my newest project. A 1972 Hodaka 100B+. There is a cult following for these little bikes and it is street legal! Perfect bike for putting around my lake and making a part run from time to time. They were the best small dirt bike that money could buy in the mid to late 60's. After that the big four caught up and they faded into history so to speak. They were built in Athena Oregon near Pendleton. Every year they have "Hodaka Days" in Athena in June.

She needs some love!!

Oh Crap!!! What Happened!!! This was yesterday and today.....

CougarCJ

My buddy used to have a Hodaka Road Toad. They were Kermit Green.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott,
Yes, they were an ugly green. Me thinks as the years went on and the big four started catching up that the PABATCO company in Oregon that made the Hodaka name may have gotten into a bit of "wacky tobakee". Names like Road Toad, Wombat, and Dirt Squirt were created....

Too bad as the original bikes were spot on and the best of the best in their day. Simple, stone reliable, and fast. I guess they rode the wave while they could.

But this cult bike lives on!!

http://hodakadays.org/

Rob

Mosesatm

Rob,
I think your winter fun is a lot more fun than my current project.

Attachments

• DSC06526 (1000x750).jpg
    DSC06526 (1000x750).jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 28

Ruppstang

I did two of those last month. I did not think of killing my self the old body was claiming some pain afterward.

Arlie the putting back is a lot better than the tearing out. Keep up the good work.
Here is my latest at home cause of pain!

Attachments

• 2015-05-07 22.26.13.jpg
    2015-05-07 22.26.13.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 32

Ruppstang

Is that Eldorado Stone?

No it is Boel Versetta stone. It is a cool system each panel is 8"X36" and 35lbs. it goes up quickly but the trips up and down will kill you.

We in stalled the modular carpet squares in a bank last year and I really liked how it worked.
Marty

calspcl

Love the Hodaka Rob! I grew up on one of those. They were fast, my dad would not let me go out of first gear because he was afraid I would crash and burn. Needless to say ,,, I fried the motor trying to keep up with my friends.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

More fun at Triple B's Muscle Car Clinic. This is the most beautiful 1965 Fastback I have seen. Rangoon Red with white interior. Four speed and the underside is just as pretty.

Tuning challenge for Rob as owner had engine builder but in a "mild cam". Well, not so mild. Engine is all stock and running through an Autolite 4100 carb. Air screws completely closed with no effect. 5 inches of vacuum with the power valve full in dumping mo gas. Run you right out of the garage. Cloud of unburnt gas out the pipes!

All parts ok and no vacuum leaks. A typical set up for too much demand on the primary side of the carb with the curb idle open to far and off the transfer slots negating the idle mix screws.

I cracked the secondary stop in 1.5 turns to open the secondary side of the carb. Was able to close the primary side down two turns. Idle mix screws now work and was ale to open them to 1/2 turn. Got engine up to 11 inches of vacuum at 900 rpm and also advanced the initial timing from 6 BTDC to 14 BTDC. No pinging and great performance.

Car runs like a top! She is beautiful!!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Hodaka is pretty much done. I have a smaller rear sprocket coming. I removed the rear rim and re-laced and trued up a new one on her. That is so much fun!!!! Not....

Before pics. And the before pics are very forgiving!!

After pics!!!