• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Pertronix Ignitor to replace points?

miller511

Hey all,

I was thinking about installing a Pertronix "Ignitor" unit to replace the points in the distributor on my 289.
Is this worth doing? Reliability? Performance gain? Comments?

BroadwayBlue

Hi!
I've had it in for a few weeks and so far no complaints.
It installed super easy and is fairly unnoticeable aside from 1 wire that comes out of the distributor cap.

I went with the newer version and their coil and have been happy. My brother-in-law is an ex-mechanic and did all the work on my car and he's had nothing but good things to say about it.
It avoids changing the points each season too.

Car starts right up and runs very smooth.
I can't say much on performance gains because I installed it right after I got the car and didn't drive it much before that.

From what I read about it I felt it was a good investment.

P

PNewitt

I've had one in my CS for a long time, and I love it. No more "fried" points from resistance of high revs.

Very reliable.

Paul N.

CalPaul

I've had Pertronix for 1 year and think its great. Never worry about perfromance drag due to old points. I'm using stock coil with it.

case12

I have it in both my classics. I would put one in right away. It makes life so much easier for starting and running. Only reason not to is if you are concourse. Casey

68gt390

I just installed this system this week and have had no problems what so ever. Even if your car is concourse just put some shrink wrap over it and you should be good to go. That's what I did and it still looks like you've only got the 1 wire coming out of the distributor.

Don ;)