• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Paint Questions What's correct for...

njmop

Hello All:

I'm starting to work on some parts for my CS and stripping and painting.
I'd like to go with the best paint options for durability and still be somewhat correct.

Seat Frames (just stripped them down, looked like gloss black on them)
Windshield Squirter (under dash)
A/C Parts (under hood stuff, brackets, mounts, etc) Are all A/C parts painted or are some bare metal? This stuff is really old and I can't tell.

Should I Por-15 (black) these things and be done with it?

I've started painting with flat black spray paint on some stuff, but that looks too flat to be right. Should I go semi gloss? Gloss?

Interior (Black Standard):

Interior Metal Panels (Rear)
Inside of doors
Metal Section of Dash

Are these Charcoal Black Metallic or Black (flat or otherwise)?

Also, after looking at the Resto Reference Section here, is the Grille, Lucas Posts, etc. color Dark Charcoal Metallic? Metioned is "67 Wheel Paint". Does that mean the Eastwood Argent paint?

rvrtrash

I use NAPA Chassis Black on my seat frames and engine brackets. POR-15 would work the same and it brushes on instead of spray. For the interior metal, most Mustang restoration suppliers have paint already mixed up in rattle cans. Year One (which I like) uses your interior trim code to point you to the correct color.

Steve

J_Speegle

I'm starting to work on some parts for my CS and stripping and painting.
I'd like to go with the best paint options for durability and still be somewhat correct.

Seat Frames - Semi-gloss black sprayed

Windshield Squirter (under dash)- Semi-gloss black sprayed

A/C Parts (under hood stuff, brackets, mounts, etc) Are all A/C parts painted or are some bare metal? - You don't report what engine but in general main mount, idler mount that attaches to the pump and water pump are Semi-gloss black. Idler is phosphate and oil generally (except for the center cap)

Should I Por-15 (black) these things and be done with it?

I wouldn't

Interior (Black Standard):
Interior Metal Panels (Rear)
Inside of doors
Metal Section of Dash
Are these Charcoal Black Metallic or Black (flat or otherwise)?

The doors, A pillars and dash were shot in Dark Charcoal Metallic (even though Ford called it black) before the car was painted. Lots easier to mask these pieces off than the opposite. All other painted panels that were added later were painted the same

Also, after looking at the Resto Reference Section here, is the Grille, Lucas Posts, etc. color Dark Charcoal Metallic? Metioned is "67 Wheel Paint". Does that mean the Eastwood Argent paint?

No that is not the same. You should buy the right color (rattle cans are available at any Mustang shop or can be mixed to shot from a gun)

Most people first shot a thin coat of semi-gloss black then overcoat it with the Dark Charcoal since it does not cover well

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the quick replies.

I like the idea of a thin layer of flat before the charcoal metallic.

Mike

patty.dilabio

Howdy All!
once again just my 2 cents worth.I use and highly reccommend ppg products.They are an exact match for any of your needs,and are unmatched for durability.There is a good website for ppg products which will let you get any color code you need including charcoal black,and your local store should be able to supply you with the paint.Remember it is the prep that counts..spend the time it takes to do it properly and you will have a durable job you can be proud of years from now.When you need an exact match for the satin black used in the engine compartment,it is hard to do better than krylon #1613 in a spray can..often available at home depot,and even Bob Perkins uses it! Just so you will know....most of these parts were painted when they were manufactured by the dipping and spinning process,with the spun off paint being recirculated.This let them get the most for their paint $$ and explains why some parts have runs in funny directions.
Best wishes for great looking detail on your car.Be sure to keep us posted.

J_Speegle

PPG is great stuff and have used it for years Unfortunately we can't get PPG or any other non-rattle can paints in single stage anymore in allot of areas of Calif. So using it, locally, is not an option for the interior color.

Kryon is ok for the driver but does not hold up well in the long run when exposed to the elements and repetitive cleanings in my experience