• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Paint Colors

BigJim

We're getting close to putting the CS back together and my paint guy needs to know what is the correct paint for the engine compartment, underside and trunk?

J_Speegle

The trunk (with no gas tank or other parts in it) with the trunk lid attached was painted the same color as the exterior at the same station as the exterior (unibody pluse rear valance, rear bumper guard brackets and doors in place)

The undersides was painted with two (often) slightly different tints of red oxide epoxy primer (read smooth slightly glossy not the flat stuff). One from the firewall forward and one form the firewall rearward

You will not find anything out of the can that matches what your car originally had. Over this you'll have body color overspray and pinch weld black out overspray so its done first. Allot of people start with the Ditzler/PPG DP74LF and tint from there

Engine compartment and front wheel well black (back to the rear splash shield attachment edge (not installed) is a semi-gloss black. Every painter has their favorite and what I can apply may be illegal to use (like all paints now a days) where your painter is.

Last car I had done we used a VOC compliant semi-gloss black - Hot Rod black. Its a two part black and touches up nicely with SEMS trim black for a quick fix. Not bullet proof though