• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Original valve Covers? intake color?

wally05

What did the original valve covers on these cars look like? Did they say "powered by Ford" on them? I know they were ford blue, I just need some clarification.

Also, I decided to go for driveability and I'm rebuilding the holley that came on the car for my brother and I went with the 500cfm Edelbrock 1403 with electric choke for me(bro is buying the holley carb off me rebuilt... :) ). It's about the right cfm for a Ford 302 and I can richen it up if I want a little more performance out of it. But, also, I'm going with the Performer 289/302 intake to go with the carb. Should I paint it ford blue or leave it the cast color?

I just went through plugs/wires. I might install a pertronix ignitor I've had sitting around for awhile.

I'm keeping all the stock parts that came with the car, of course. Once I'm done driving it years down the road, maybe I'll return it to stock. :) I'm not changing anything that can't be easily changed back, but adding a little more performance never hurt anything... ;).

obwan93001

I believe the stock covers on the '68 GT/CS either C or J code were the ones that say "Powered By Ford" on them. The engine in mine is the original 289 that came with it and that's what it has. I also believe the intake mani was painted Ford Blue like the valve covers too. I'm sure Paul Newitt can chime in and confirm it all for us. He's the GT/CS man!

Have fun with your GT/CS and Happy Holidays!

PS: I installed the Pertronix Ignitor with the black Flamethrower coil, nice knowing I no longer have to deal w/OE points ;-) Engine starts immediately on first try everytime.

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

Haha, thanks, obwan. :)

I knew the intake was blue, like most of the engine. I'm just wondering if I should paint my new edelbrock intake blue. I'm thinking about it. :)

jaystang

I personally don't care for how original I keep mine, so i went with leaving it the cast color. I think i gives it a much more clean look. I've had mine on for 6 or 7 years and it still looks as good as new. A little maintenance is required to keep it lookin good, but not too much.

Also the original valve covers that were on my 289 were "Powerd By Ford".

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

I'm putting on Open letter Cobra valve covers and I'll keep utilizing the emissions stuff on it until I upgrade to a new air cleaner.

gazrox

I believe that Cal Spec owners were able to put any Shelby options on - including valve covers etc. So if you wanted "Cobra" valve covers or air filter then it could still be considered original equipment. Tony Branda is the place to find the Shelby options.

As far as the intake is concerned - do whatever turns your crank. I don't think it really matters. I touched mine up with Alumablast spray paint - I prefer the cast look.