• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 OK, I hate it a bit less now...

dalorzo_f

As I decided to let the front set overnight, moved rearward. The diff was not touched in the repaint and the "crud look" frinally got ot me. So decided to pull it.

Rear out in 30 minutes (did forget to remove the brake and wondered why it wouldn't roll out! :tongue:)

The front leaf bolts came right out. Once the nut was off put a big socket on the bolt head, twisted, and pushed them out with my little finger... both sides... We made up after the "water pump incident"... :smile:

I did find some marks while scraping the intial layer of gunk off the axle. Anyone else seen similar marks (a white "e" a greenish ??, and a orange one near the center, (X?6 or (9YX) that one got a bit wiped...

Suggestions on the best way to de-crud the center to leave any marks to note before repaint, but remove 47 years of grime?

Ruppstang

Take a lot of pictures of the marks and remake them after you repaint the axel.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Considering it, the issue is figuring out exactly what they are... was hoping others may have similar ones to compare to fill in the blanks. The "e" is pretty solid, the others leave some guesswork...

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

A few more found today.

many are too vague to really tell so will just keep the photos and not replace them...

a few blue places on the pumpkin, behind the tag, on the web and on the "snout", a small dark blue patch on the ring as well. Yellow dot on yoke.

Blue "8"

Possibly some green/yellow marks

Maybe a "1" and "5" or some other squiggle in orange

Green white marks (both sides, probably brake related would be my guess on these two...)