• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Numbers matching question

mbsf1970

I understand the concept of numbers matching however would like to know if someone could explain it in further detail....
ie: Is the VIN # located in several spots on the car? I think my car is original but would like to see for myself....thanks in advance for your help.
Stephen

rvrtrash

The VIN on the door and dash will match the VIN on the top of the inner fenders, the rear of the engine and the top of the transmission.

Steve

dalorzo_f

Also means date codes on cast items and sheet metal all line up. And the engine, carb and diff tags are correct.

Really more of a GM term as they did stamp partial VINs on many parts.

J_Speegle

Let's try this.

In an effort to track and identify parts Ford, contractors and sub contractors placed markings on many of the parts that make up our cars. Many of these markings included the date the part was made. This also allowed Ford to identify lots and time periods if there was a problem or a recall of certain parts was needed

The dates might be cast into the part ( for cast iron, aluminum and sometimes plastic parts) , stamped into it ( common on stamped steel parts) or applied in other ways as they did on glass windows. Another method was a simple ink stamp (alternators and some grills come to mind.

When someone used the term "numbers matching"{ it can mean a number of very different levels and one (especially if someone was purchasing a car) should always ask for the other persons definition of "numbers match"

Kind of like the terms, restored, concours, like original, rebuilt ..... LOTS of different meanings;)

For some, numbers matching only means that the car has all of its original VIN's in the original locations and that if the IN calls for a 289 as original the car has a 289. For others it might mean that the engine and transmission have VIN's that match the car or just the date codes on those parts are from before the car was assembled. For some matching numbers can mean that the car has all of its original VIN's in their correct location (including engine and trans if it was built during the appropriate periods or model) EVERY part on the car that has a date is from the time period appropriate for the particular car.

Unfortunately there is not one (IMHO there should be ;) definition of the term and it is often used very freely in advertisements and at auctions. So confirm what the person is stating and confirm if it is so

Sorry for the loooooonnnnnng response

x-codegtcs

I think Jeff gives a good base to set expectations when dealing with others - especially those trying to sell...My general experience leads me to believe that most use "numbers matching" to convey that the original tranny and engine are in the car and most if not all of the original sheetmetal - less any removed for rust removal ore replaced due to accidents.

But always be wary of a seller using the term if you are looking to buy - verify twice, buy once.