• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New to forum, new '68 owner

Boss302

Hi all. This weekend I bought a really sweet '68, that has the california special treatment. I dont think its real however but thats what Im trying to figure out. I dont honestly care if it is, I bought it because I liked it and the price does NOT reflect a real one. The previous owner knew nothing about it other than it was owned by olympic gold medalist, Mark Spitz. If it is not real, then whoever did the conversion did an absolutely amazing job, everything seems correct.

What makes me say it isnt real, is the Vin starts with 8T, not 8R. To me thats the end of the research and the end of the story. The things that confuse me are the quality and age of the conversion, and even though the VIN tag says 8T, it does say CS on it. However that could stand for something completely different, who knows.

Either way, Im really happy to have it, the price was really good and I know Im going to have fun with it. :) Its a 289 2v, auto. :)

Thanks all. Just thought Id say hi.
Bob

clubpro

Bob,

Make sure that you send the complete vin and some photos to Mike Jewell (somethingspecial) our esteemed registrar. He has a section in the registry for clones which you definitely have.

Welcome to the website and to our incredible family!

Cheers,

Ron

robert campbell

WELCOME! Its pedigree is not important as much as your fun! Now if burning rubber is your gig, I am ready to help spend your money!! We can discuss a series of upgrades in steps to make it a tire frying machine.

Or heck, leave it alone and just enjoy it!

Rob

Midnight Special

WELCOME! Its pedigree is not important as much as your fun!

Or heck, leave it alone and just enjoy it!

Rob

...What Rob says :)
My son & I have owned two clones (plus six GT/CSs) and I dare say the clones were more fun! The purists lost their license to nitpick 'em and the general populace loved the way we freely drove heck out of 'em :) In fact, both cars have won awards with judges believing them real. It's simply those beautiful (coupe) lines that makes the appeal :)

OP
OP
B

Boss302

Do you purchase your car at Carlisle?
Hi there, yes, I did. The gentleman I bought it from was a very nice guy.

And thank you, I very well may want to make it a little quicker! A 289 2v is kind of a yawn :)

S

slimt

I very well may want to make it a little quicker! A 289 2v is kind of a yawn :)

actually I think this day and age.. the 289 has a fair amount of snap .. Mine works just fine and is a blast to drive..

franklinair

Try an Edelbrock 4BBL intake manifold with an Edelbrock 500CFM 4BBL carb, and Pertronix ignition with their 40K volt coil. That will wake it up without breaking the bank. If you want to go into the engine, .030 oversize bore and a mild cam. That's what I did to my 289.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 30